Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Eurosport (not UK)

Options
  • 30-07-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I'm setup with Sky Digital and currently get Eurosport 1 & 2 UK. I've noticed that Eurosport HD has different programmes on sometimes. It turn out Eurosport HD is the non-uk version of Eurosport in HD.
    Is there anyway to tune in non-uk Eurosport on my current digibox?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not unless you move your dish and like the German language. Commentators on the Tour de France mentioned that British Eurosport would have its own HD version in the near future so it would seem that this is just temporary. Pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 behanj

Thanks for that Mossy,

Does this mean that Eurosport HD will then become Eurosport UK in HD?
    AHHHHH!
    I miss Fight Club!

Apparently so. Which is a shame.

Is the only option then to setup a second dish or a dish with a motor to get European Eurosport and other analogue and digital satellite channels?

Yes but be aware that only the German version is free if you wish to view in digital. The analogue version has English also.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Mossy,
    Just one last question or a couple:
    Will the analogue service get turned off sometime soon?
    Would a portable system such as this one http://www.sailgb.com/p/portable_satellite_dish/ or this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&criteria=clearance&doy=search be the thing to use?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Yes but be aware that only the German version is free if you wish to view in digital.
    And then only in SD.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

behanj wrote: »
    Thanks again Mossy,
    Just one last question or a couple:
    Will the analogue service get turned off sometime soon?
    Would a portable system such as this one http://www.sailgb.com/p/portable_satellite_dish/ or this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&criteria=clearance&doy=search be the thing to use?

Cheers
    Analogue service will last a few more years, in general. I'm not sure how long before Eurosport ceases analogue broadcast. I only know of one website dedicated to analogue satellite, and that's www.analoguesat.co.uk

That site is worth looking into with regards setting up dish or acquiring the now rare analogue receivers.

With regards the two links, the first dish may work, though only if it really does have the same performance of a 55-60cm dish, which I personally doubt. The second dish, with the camping kit is no use either, as dish is too small, and receiver is digital only.

And then only in SD.

Yes. That is correct. No Eurosport in HD FTA anywhere.

Byte, NewDubliner, Mossy Monk,
    Thanks a million, this answers all my questions.
    Thanks for the link too, Byte. I'll check it out and see what I can get to sort this out.
    I do have one other question which has been burning a hole through my brain for the past two years - Why has Eurosport UK dropped Fight Club? Will Vanders is a god in sports commentary, so if I only get Fight Club in German it'll take half the enjoyment away from it! When I google Eurosport all I get is the crappy Yahoo Eurosport Portal crap, is there a corporate site with contact info available?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You can see Eurosport HD on the TVs in the Sony Centre in Dundrum. The "HD" part of their logo looks a little stuck on.

I miss the old logo. :(

eurosport_ident_1989a.jpg

I really liked the old logos too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I really liked the old logos too.

that really brings back memories, back when tv was actually good and interesting and mostly free.

There was nothing better than having 16 channels which included MTV Europe, Eurosport, Screenspot, Filmnet, Sat1, RTL Plus, RTL4, Sky Movies, TNT, Sky Channel etc.
    All channels were much better back then and showed way more variety than whats on today. Sky Digitial imo is truly shocking for the price and the lack of variety it offers despite having so many channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Gonzo wrote: »
    that really brings back memories, back when tv was actually good and interesting and mostly free.
    Ah yes, remember Super Channel?

But now we have to pay for the privilege of watching sponsored sports interrupted by advertising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember Super Channel but it was cable only, not on Astra/Sky Analogue

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember Super Channel but it was cable only, not on Astra/Sky Analogue

Yep, it was on 13° East, 10987 V. I doubt many people picked it up directly.

Advertisement