Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not wanting to give me his PPS number

Options
  • 30-07-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all..

Just a quick question... Ive recently took out a year lease on an apartment, I did mention at the beginging that i would be claiming tax credits for this so therefore would need his pps... I havent even got the form from the tax office Im just presuming i need his pps is this right??

He keep making up excuses when im asking him about it... can he really refuse to give this to me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I wouldn't push him on it. If he refuses, just send the form off without it. The Revenue can do the rest.

I don't know who he thinks he's going to fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1

Fill out the form and attach a note saying you haven't been given the pps number but provide his bank account details.

The all pervasive revenue commissioners will do the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hi all..

Just a quick question... Ive recently took out a year lease on an apartment, I did mention at the beginging that i would be claiming tax credits for this so therefore would need his pps... I havent even got the form from the tax office Im just presuming i need his pps is this right??

He keep making up excuses when im asking him about it... can he really refuse to give this to me??

If he has registered the tenancy with the PRTB, as is law, then they will have his PPSN on the forms when he registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

don't worry, you don't need his PPS, all you need is a postal address for him, that's what I've used for the last few years and never a problem.

The revenue should have your credit applied in the next 2 months, if you're applying for a previous tax year you'll get a cheque in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few scenarios.

Most likely, he doesn't intend to pay tax. In this case, simply complete the form RENT 1 and add a note that the landlord is refusing to give you his PPS number

If you in any way think he may be foreign resident and not registered for tax here, then you have responsibilities. You are responsible for withholding a portion of the rent and this is to be paid directly to the Revenue.

He isn't registered with PRTB - has he asked you to fill in a form for the PRTB or asked for your PPS number? Is the property listed here: http://www.prtb.ie/public/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

so would i get my landlord in trouble for claiming rent relief if he is not registered with the ptrb (we live together in the same house?)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭clarkey1980

jetski wrote: »
    so would i get my landlord in trouble for claiming rent relief if he is not registered with the ptrb (we live together in the same house?)

If it is his home as well he can receive up to €10,000 per year tax free under the rent a room scheme

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/buying-a-home/owning-a-home/rent_a_room_scheme

PRTB regulations do not apply in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

jetski wrote: »

don't worry about the PRTB, your goal is to get tax credit and for this he doesn't need to be registered with PRTB, you don't need his PPS, just his address. The PRTB and Revenue are totally separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭PinkPrincess26

Thats brillo, thanx for all your help and answers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement