Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

T. rex tissue controversy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So wait, they found bacterial biofilm on a completely different specimen and use it as a springboard to say Schweitzer's findings were not what she said they were? Hmm, I think a bit of cross examination is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Galvasean wrote: »
    So wait, they found bacterial biofilm on a completely different specimen and use it as a springboard to say Schweitzer's findings were not what she said they were? Hmm, I think a bit of cross examination is in order.

Agreed! The main concern though seems to be that they made their isolations from very much comparable samples and weren't able to reproduce Schweitzer's results despite many samples. It's quite possible that Schweitzer's samples just represented a lucky isolation... contamination seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Makes you wonder why they didn't just contact Schweitzer first and collaborate their research rather than run to the presses. I fear palaeontology is starting to get ruined by celebrity and tabloidism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Galvasean wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why they didn't just contact Schweitzer first and collaborate their research rather than run to the presses. I fear palaeontology is starting to get ruined by celebrity and tabloidism.

That would fly in the face of scientific philosophy somewhat. Your results don't mean quite so much until someone can independently reproduce them.

Advertisement