Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's rain

Options
  • 30-07-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭

'Rain, heavy and possibly thundery in places, with fog on hills and coasts. The rain will become largely confined to eastern areas during the day, with a clearance to sunny spells and scattered showers elsewhere. Breezy, with highest temperatures of 17 C to 22 C.'.

Are ME talking about thunder showers here? the bulk of the rain has passed off now and looking at Sat24 it looks bright out to our west. Is there someting else going on I'm missing? I'd expect a sunny day with a few scattered showers now and a breeze.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

squonk wrote: »
    'Rain, heavy and possibly thundery in places, with fog on hills and coasts. The rain will become largely confined to eastern areas during the day, with a clearance to sunny spells and scattered showers elsewhere. Breezy, with highest temperatures of 17 C to 22 C.'.

Are ME talking about thunder showers here? the bulk of the rain has passed off now and looking at Sat24 it looks bright out to our west. Is there someting else going on I'm missing? I'd expect a sunny day with a few scattered showers now and a breeze.

It's to do with a developing wave Sqounk, which can back track a front quite dramatically. While Hirlam is downgrading the risk slightly today for this evening in the east, it still looks pretty potant, with the possibility of some persistant thundery bursts late into the night:

prec_nordeuro-6.gif

prec_nordeuro-14.gif

The balance between the high to the east and the low to the west is very very fine, and even a slight increase in pressure over the continental lowlands could be enough to push the heavier stuff much further inland; while a slight decline would keep it more to the east. One to watch I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Cheers DE! I thought we'd done with that front! makes sense!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to Gerry on the radio, we can expect '25 to 30mm rain overnight with significantly higher figures to high ground near the east coast'.

With a respite in the morning, more rain to follow tomorrow afternoon.

Watch out guys! I suppose if we can't have thunderstorms, I do like torrential rain :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like a real deluge for the East overnight. Not expecting thunder but you never know. I think some localised flooding may occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

darkman2 wrote: »
    Looks like a real deluge for the East overnight. Not expecting thunder but you never know. I think some localised flooding may occur.
    Met er reckon there wil be thundery bursts in this overnite especially near the east coast. We wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be interesting to see the recorded rainfall out of this in the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its pelting down here, could be some flooding I reckon.

Mike

Just raining away nicely here. Not as heavy as it was this morning so far. The wind has died down a bit too. Still, with the evenings getting shorter, it's like the first sign of winter really :(

17mm here now and rising.
    Lashing noisily out there!

17mm here now and rising.
    Lashing noisily out there!

17mm already? - Your not far off an inch of rain then. Below moderate but persistent rainfall here. Heavier pulses south of you according to radar. Might get the odd rumble of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are you in Wexford?
    It will take some doing to equal the 52mm that was recorded in Rosslare over one weekend in June!

Starting to pick up in intensity here but still below moderate I would say. Persistent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

7.6mm with RR at 2.5mm/hr. Not too heavy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Steady but light rain here since 9.30pm. Stopped a few minutes ago. Could see clear blue sky to my west as the sun set until a short while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

really picked up in the last 5 mins in dalkey V. heavy now

17mm already? - Your not far off an inch of rain then. Below moderate but persistent rainfall here. Heavier pulses south of you according to radar. Might get the odd rumble of thunder.
    19.8mm now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Been absolutely pissing it down here in Portlaoise for about the last hour, hour and a half. Has really started coming down in the last 20 minutes or so. Surprised there wasn't any flashes or bangs from it yet, it's got that real thundery feel to it.

Speaking of which, Danno, is there something up with your detector at the moment? It's currently showing a line of storms stretching northeast / southwest from the Irish Sea down into Tipp / Limerick roughly, which when you run the sequence all starts very quickly and pops up out of the blue. Snowbie's detector isn't showing anything of major significance like that so I'm guessing there's interference or you're playing around in the attic again with it or something like that, would I be right? :D

Interference there Aidan. I repositioned the reciever in the attic the other day and me thinks its too close to the motorised vent in the bathroom ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Fair enough, Danno, I suspected something was amiss alright. If we had a line of storms like that for real, you could be certain that this forum would be absolutely hopping with activity and reports! :D

The ones west of here were in fact correct strikes but in the wrong location. There is a storm out over the Atlantic, west of Kerry that is being picked up. However, signals are weak, there are alot of mountains between here and Kerry and that is why they are plotted in over Limerick-Tipp, if the storm was stronger it would plot more correctly. Funnily enough, sometimes storms that are closer can actually plot far away too! It's a lottery when there is weak lightning.

• Advertisement

http://www.weatherinaflash.metsite.com/stormvue.html
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light.htm

The mountains of Wales truely throw these two detectors off altogether! :P

Gone all quiet here now. Was absolutely bucking it down though a few minute ago. A proper thunder shower. From the radar we seem to be in a light patch but the heavy stuff will resume after a bit I think.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb <<< I tell you, the detectors are picking up on a mighty active storm some 180 miles off the Kerry coast! Look at the power showers out there! That's impressive detection - over 300 miles from me and 375 from Snowbie!

Had a 25mm/hr rain rate from that heavy one but rain just light now.
    Heavier stuff in the south midlands.

Off topic also notice the N Italy storm bubbling up also.

Rain has gotten heavier again now.

Got a belt of that there for nearly an hour dumping nearly 10mm of rain. It appears to be clearing NEwards at the moment.

OT: Look at the clump WNW of Donegal and how the upper level shear is cutting the top off it!

Danno wrote: »
    The ones west of here were in fact correct strikes but in the wrong location. There is a storm out over the Atlantic, west of Kerry that is being picked up. However, signals are weak, there are alot of mountains between here and Kerry and that is why they are plotted in over Limerick-Tipp, if the storm was stronger it would plot more correctly. Funnily enough, sometimes storms that are closer can actually plot far away too! It's a lottery when there is weak lightning.
    A bit more complicated than that Dan. In laymans terms, the atmosphere is divided into layers A through to F. When the Sun sets the D layer is lost and what you get is ionospheric reflection bringing the strike that bit closer. Mtns do have an impact also aswell as the salt water. Future releases will make detection better as i was saying a few days back.:)

12.5mm since the first drop and 1mm since midnight.

Ah, forgot that part! I do remember reading it in the manual (you see, I do RTFM) when I got the kit, but slipped my mind. AFAIK the NexStorm setting is ticked to allow for night time ranging.

Locking this thread to save the confusion with thread title.
    Darkman opened a new thread for todays 31st stuff.

[thread=2055346075] Here[/thread]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement