Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Hookable

Options
  • 30-07-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

I like Pema Chodron's description of when we get drawn by our emotions. In particular anger. It's like when that sudden burning feeling takes a hold and drags us from our desired state, like a fish on a hook!

My question to you guys is, what methods do you employ, when you feel like your about to get hooked, for me it's a constant battle and when the hook sinks in it really is a point of no return, especially when it comes to dealing with people, selfish, arrogant people or simply just people ;)

The ideal situation is not to be around the types of people that carry fishing rods (euphemism for morons :D) but we need them, they are a constant source of mind training. So what are your methods for coming back to a point where that inner burn is extinguished before it flames up?

Looking forward to reading your input :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

It's not the actual person who annoys you. It's the mannerisms they have adopted. So don't be annoyed at the person and just be honest.

It can be viewed that you are making yourself angry, so just be aware of it. Don't blame other people for how you feel.

Of course, every situation will be different. So you really have to deal with them as they come.
    You're only human. So you'll just have to bear it! :D

All the best.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Jon, I will use the appropriate analogy for you, Do not rise to the bait :)
    Sorry, could not resist that one.
    18AD has already pointed out correctly that it is the mannerisms they have adopted that hook you so there in lies the answer, it is the mannerisms you adopt back that will free you from the hook. The correct approach already lies within your own method of practice. For example
    For me, my practice is chanting, so I quickly rip of a number of internal chants and smile before answering the individual.
    For Zen practitioners, 10 controlled breathings, and smile before answering the individual.
    The key is to give yourself some space to think internally before you answer or act.
    Confrontation will not do, even if you are correct in what you think. It is a test, beat it once and you have beaten it for all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

18AD and Asia,
    Thanks very much for the thought out responses. It makes good sense. I like the idea of ripping up a few chants or the Zen approach, 10 deep breaths smile and answer. I got lured into a trap last week and felt foolish over it, the situation beat me and my practice went out the window, hook line and sinker :D
    Mannerism and not the person, sounds good. Mannerisms are the new enemy :D

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Jon wrote: »
    I got lured into a trap last week and felt foolish over it, the situation beat me and my practice went out the window, hook line and sinkern
    The very fact that you could both see, and feel foolish over, the situation tells me you are at a good place in your life:)
    Keep breathing, slowly, in, out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

But what's a person except for a combination of their own personality traits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

But what's a person except for a combination of their own personality traits?

Do you mean 'what's a personality except for it's traits'? The personality can't be otherwise. It is it's traits.
    The personality is the adopter of traits. Essentially it has none and potentially all.

For instance, the ability to speak any language. However their is no universal language. One is usually received due to circumstance.

Also, you say 'their own'. I'm not really sure you can own a personality trait, since you have adopted them from your environment in a configuration that is unique to you. I don't know if that makes it yours!

You can make up original words and body language, like a unique handshake. I'd say you have more of a right to call it yours. But someone speaking in a language totally unique to themselves with completely unique body language etc.. will not function with other people.

Resonate!
    AD.

Advertisement