Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal insulation on block walls.

Options
  • 29-07-2008 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Im not sure where to post his thread..so here we go anyway!

Im trying to improve the thermal mass of my house and basically improve insulation. I have considered dry lining the internal block walls for better heat retention, has anyone any better ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Have a look at this site:

www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com. They sell a plasterboard called Sasmox that has a very good u-value - actually its the best u-value I've found and its v eco-friendly as it has no glue in it.If you have a wall cavity, you could consider blown insulation, such as cellulose.

Airtightness is also important for keeping the warm air in (analogy is of being up on a mountain with a warm fleece & no windbreaker). So things like internal and external membranes are good, although I'm not sure how they would work on a retrofit.

I know that SEI are working on guidelines for retrofitting to passive house standard at the moment. You may not want to go that far but they will definitely have some pointers. Actually the SEI website might have some info: www.sei.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Kingspan do a number of insulated plasterboards that have good U values, but need to be glued up.

You can fill the remaining air gap in the cavity walls with poly beads, which I've been told are effective.

The most important one is the attic or roof insulation. Put as much extra insulation there as you can as heat rises.

There are also a number of external products to line the outside of your house. Proto block being one.

Extra thick curtains and include blinds adjacent to the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

You would probably get more replies over in Renewable Energies

Advertisement