Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Moderatorship?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey, I was wondering does anyone know anything about the medical moderatorship thing?

I found this on their website -
    Medical Moderatorship

After completing year three successfully, you may be permitted to take a year out from the medical course to undertake a moderatorship in science in an approved subject.

This is a good way to gain experience in scientific research if you are interested in the possibility of a career in academic medicine.

Do you think it is worth spending an extra year doing this?

Does anyone know if you have to pay extra fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Please, in future, leave your caps-lock button off. I edited it so as to make your post more palatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Splicer wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone know anything about the medical moderatorship thing?

I found this on their website -
    Medical Moderatorship

After completing year three successfully, you may be permitted to take a year out from the medical course to undertake a moderatorship in science in an approved subject.

This is a good way to gain experience in scientific research if you are interested in the possibility of a career in academic medicine.

Do you think it is worth spending an extra year doing this?

Does anyone know if you have to pay extra fees?

Hey Splicer, hows the summer treating ya?

I was of the opinion that the extra year was in biochemistry and was aimed at students that were particularly interested in a career in academic medicine. As far as I know, this also gives you M.A. in biochem, or something like that, but I find that hard to believe.

Is it worth doing?

NO, an extra year of biochem, stupid Q.!!

I'm not sure bout fees, best way is to contact the medicine office.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

definitely worth doing. it may have changed from a 1year B.A to an MSc over 2 years. the medical school will have no idea what you are talking about when you ask unless things have changed recently.
    If its still the one year interchaatedl year you will have to pay fees.think its ~€6000.but i think the Msc is now funded up to 10grand.you should have got an email in the last few days with details
    If you are thinking of doing it I would get in contact with the SS course director and ask to meet and discuss the course.Most are very happy to meet people with a genuine interest
    If you do decided its for you your best bet may be to contact your tutor because you need "permission" from the senior lecturer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

Thanks a lot guys.
    SD123 - my summer is pretty good, what are u up to. xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

you can take a year in neuroscience too, it's not just biochem isn't it. presumably micro too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

sd123 wrote: »
    Is it worth doing?

I'm a TCD medical graduate with a BA (Mod) in Physiology... It is definitely worth doing. I know it seems way off now but it puts you head and shoulders above every other medical graduate when you are applying for post-graduate training schemes (in medicine, surgery, obs&gynae, GP etc). Competition is fierce and another few letters after your name would give you an edge.

Advertisement