Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Sky +, VCR and DVR.

Options
  • 29-07-2008 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello,

Need some help with this. I was wondering what is the best way of connecting Sky +, a VCR and a DVR. I've two scart ports on my Sky box, 2 on my VCR, 2 on my DVR and 2 my TV (although one on the TV is in use).

Many thanks.

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Lots of ways but this is probably what I would do:

Sky+
    TV scart (with RGB) to DVR for best picture
    VCR scart to VCR

TV
    ---
    One scart connected to Sky+ box (as above)
    Second scart connected to DVR

Assuming your DVR has a scart passthrough, you could connect the second scart on your VCR to the DVR. This would enable you to hit play and then the VCR would route its output through the DVR's scart circuitry to get to the TV. Saves the need to get a scart block or, worse still, swap scart leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I had noticed that Sky was displaying in the Pal picture format, so it's good to hear that there's a solution available. Two questions though:

1. What do you mean by "VCR scart to VCR"?

2. What do you mean by "DVR has a scart passthrough"

If it's any help, my DVR is the Goodmans GDVDR320HDMIB.

Once again, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Pegasus15 wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I had noticed that Sky was displaying in the Pal picture format, so it's good to hear that there's a solution available. Two questions though:

1. What do you mean by "VCR scart to VCR"?
    The second scart on the Sky+ box (should be marked VCR) should be connected to one of the VCR's scarts.
    2. What do you mean by "DVR has a scart passthrough"

If it's any help, my DVR is the Goodmans GDVDR320HDMIB.

Once again, many thanks.
    Some AV equipment with two scart sockets allows one device to loop through the other scart, e.g. connecting a DVD player to one scart on a VCR while the scart from the VCR goes to the TV. Powering up the DVD player would allow you to watch a DVD even though there would not be a direct connection to the TV itself.

In your case, I was suggesting connecting your VCR to one of your DVR's scart sockets. This might make it a little clearer.
                   TV
                    |
           Sky+     DVR            VCR
          |________| |________|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

So, are you suggesting this?:

TV scart 1 --> Sky +
    TV scart 2 --> DVD Recorder

Sky + scart 1 --> taken by TV
    Sky + scart 2 (VCR) --> to the actual VCR player

DVD Recorder scart 1 --> taken by the scart going into the TV
    DVD Recorder scart 2 ---> VCR

And would this allow me to record from Sky + to the DVR and VCR? And what about the bunch of aerial cables that are floating about atm? Instead of a scart from the TV to the DVR, could I use an aerial cable (I think that's what they're called) instead leaving the second TV scart free?

Many thanks once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

• Advertisement
Advertisement