Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a Sky installer put the dish on the chimney?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

If Sky is ordered direct from Sky themselves will the installer they send put the dish on the chimney of a semi-d? Vaguely remember that they won't. Got my Sky system/install from a retailer, the installer put the dish on the chimney no problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I believe they wont as they aren't insured to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

surely if it's below their 30ft limit it shouldn't matter. digiweb put their thingummy for my metro broadband on the chimney and the wife's condition for us getting sky is it has to be on the chimney (out of site)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

sweetie wrote: »
    surely if it's below their 30ft limit it shouldn't matter.

They are not insured or equipped for chimney mounts, height has nothing to do with it. Use a stand off bracket and pole on the back of the house.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks.
    Must find out who insuring the retailer and put Sky in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Although they may not install one on a chimney, they certainly will replace one already on a chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

If they'll do that, the insurance reason doesn't really make sense then.

Although they may not install one on a chimney, they certainly will replace one already on a chimney.

I doubt that since they do not carry roof ladders

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Satellite dish doesn't need height. just LOS at about 20 degrees elevation to SW. It is large wind load for a chimney.

Digiweb metro needs LOS (Line of sight) but is ZERO elevation, so not only needs chimney, but often a long pole, just like MMDS (near LOS). Wind load on a Metro Radio is very low.

You do NOT want Metro Radio and LNB of dish too close as they both use a similar converter frequency (9750MHz approx). The on Air band and coax frequencies are at least 500MHz separate, so that is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

watty wrote: »
    The Satellite dish doesn't need height. just LOS at about 20 degrees elevation to SW. It is large wind load for a chimney.

Digiweb metro needs LOS (Line of sight) but is ZERO elevation, so not only needs chimney, but often a long pole, just like MMDS (near LOS). Wind load on a Metro Radio is very low.

You do NOT want Metro Radio and LNB of dish too close as they both use a similar converter frequency (9750MHz approx). The on Air band and coax frequencies are at least 500MHz separate, so that is not an issue.

thanks Watty. So I have identified a place at the back of the house that would face South but my Tv is at the front. Would they have to run cable through my dining and living room? My wife would go mental. I thought they could run it down the front (from chimney) like the ntl cable currently goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Gargantuan

I had my Sky Dish installed on my chimney around 4 years ago.
    Then after a storm I got it re-aligned and there never was an issue with them getting up on the roof. I re-call them bouncing up the ladder .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sweetie wrote: »
    thanks Watty. So I have identified a place at the back of the house that would face South but my Tv is at the front. Would they have to run cable through my dining and living room? My wife would go mental. I thought they could run it down the front (from chimney) like the ntl cable currently goes.

they can run it around the outside walls and then through the front wall (they went through a vent in my case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

As I type this , through my window I can see 9 houses with Sky dishes on the chimney, one actually has two. I live in Wexford and I seem to recall something about dishes being banned on the front walls of houses (although it hasn't stopped some people). None of the houses I can see would have line of sight to the south from the rear.

bmaxi wrote: »
    None of the houses I can see would have line of sight to the south from the rear.

With stand off brackets they most likely would.

Advertisement