Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Kill - Any good?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

The trailer looks good and I'm a big fan of Band of Brothers and Rome. Is this worth a look?

Website here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

According to posts here, Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

If you like Jarhead (the movie) and The Wire, then most definitely yes.

Bit of a slow burner (I've seen the first 2 episodes), parallels the experiences of your average grunt at the start of the war in Iraq. It was getting a bit more gruesome towards the end of Ep. 2.

Some more discussion in 'The Wire' sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saw the first episode and enjoyed it.. but haven't even watched episodes 2 or 3 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've watched the first three episode and I must say I'm impressed. As had been mentioned it's quite a lot like Jarhead. I looks like it will be a slow burner but the characters are good and the odd bit of action keeps it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm enjoying it so far. As mentioned, some great characters on it.

• Advertisement

Just watched episode 3. This show started out well and its getting better with each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its a bit different from Band of Brothers. BoB was a dramatic recreation of Easy Company, but I believe Generation Kill is more toward the truth. Its very much in the style of The Wire as people said, so if you like that then you'll probably like this.

There's no real "story" to it as such, it just chronicles the invasion of Iraq from the view point of one company. There's not much action in it either, but thats not why I watch it. The appeal for me is the characters and the dialogue. I could listen to the conversations in the lead Humvee or theroys about the white man's quest to rule the world all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Check out the website, it's got a very good glossary of all things Marine, very handy in deciphering some of the slang and other stuff mentioned. Also character guides on there (no spoilers as far as I can see).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've never watched The Wire, but I've watched the first 3 episodes of Generation Kill and I really like it.
    The conversations they have are mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Cheers for the feedback lads, think I'll give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Really enjoying this show actually. Its very well done and it seems to be portrating the soldiers as real people as opposed to american "god bless america" stereotypes...not that I have a fracking clue as I dont actually know any american soldiers! ;)

Good show. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

It's been decent so far. Wouldn't laud it from the roof-tops just yet but will see where it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm up to episode 6. Loving the show. Sorta reminds me of that short show from Sky One called Over There, only without the hot blonde :)

It has a great mix of actual shooting and explosions versus the Marines daily lives.

Watched ep 6 yesterday and I'm loving it more with each episode. I think there are only 7 episodes though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I didn't wanna know about the 7 episodes :(

So you're telling me it's gone the way of Over There? These shows have such great potential that you'd get a few more seasons outta them .. unlike Lost which they seem to stretch out forever !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

random wrote: »
    So you're telling me it's gone the way of Over There? These shows have such great potential that you'd get a few more seasons outta them .. unlike Lost which they seem to stretch out forever !
    No it was only ever 7 episodes - it's a mini series, not a series. It's an adaptation of a book of the same name so it's not being cut or curtailed due to network interference. It's also a great show.

I love it and can't wait to see the last episode. It's a pitty that there are only 7 but I do much prefer quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

kyub wrote: »
    I love it and can't wait to see the last episode. It's a pitty that there are only 7 but I do much prefer quality over quantity.
    If you think these guys can only make quality in small doses watch, if you haven't already, The Wire. 5 seasons of awesomeness.

I have indeed. I've seen all of them but season 5. I'm waiting to get it on DVD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Anyone see the last episode? A PERFECT ending imo:) sad its off the air now:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone see the last episode? A PERFECT ending imo:) sad its off the air now:(
    Superb ending - we're discussing it in 'The Wire' forum. 'Generation Kill' is the best mini series I've ever seen. So now Simons and Burns have my best series and my best mini series...

Yea it was an excellent ending to an outstanding mini-series. I'm going to order the book now from Amazon.

Amazing end to a pretty feckin amazing mini-series. Them lads had better get working on something new sharpish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Awesome.

Watched 1-3 in the last two days. Loving it so far.

Advertisement