Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Walking Virgin Seeks Advice on How to Date a Mountain

Options
  • 29-07-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I am going to climb a mountain, one in the Coolies more than likely. I haven't done this alone (without an experienced mountain chap) before so am really looking for someone to point me in the right direction in terms of tracks, campsites and equipment. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

In good weather, climbing one of the coolies isn't a huge challenge.
    I know of people that never do any mountain climbing that just walk up and down a mountain one fine day.
    At the same time, if the weather isn't good (and it can change fast) those mountains can get shrouded in cloud very quickly, and there's lots of crags you could walk off if your navigation and mountain skills aren't good.

The best advice advice might be that if you don't already know the answers to the questions you are asking, then it is probably better if you do not climb mountains solo at this stage.
    Can you go into the hills a few more times with a group or with other experienced walkers and try and learn these things as you go? Get them to show you how to navigate etc? Or get a book on mountain skills and practice when you are out in the group, building up your knowledge and so on?
    Something like that is probably the safest way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

+1
    I wouldnt walk solo somewhere that i didnt know very well! even when you do know a mountain quite well, a little bit of cloud comes down and you'r lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

fergalr wrote: »
    At the same time, if the weather isn't good (and it can change fast) those mountains can get shrouded in cloud very quickly, and there's lots of crags you could walk off if your navigation and mountain skills aren't good.
    KatCookie wrote: »
    I wouldnt walk solo somewhere that i didnt know very well! even when you do know a mountain quite well, a little bit of cloud comes down and you'r lost!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DjouceWalker

It would be really foolish to go up any hill on your own. Its always deceptive how far away summits are. Even experienced hillwalkers with GPS can get lost in a quick mist. The important thing about joinging a club is getting your GRADE right, regardless of your age or fitness. Check out www.wai.ie which is the newly formed group taking in ALL walking clubs in Ireland (and NIrl).
    If you want to tell me your locality within Ireland, I might have further prompts.
    Whenever you go up a hill, remember to bring a bit smile with you and say hello to those you meet on the hills, and above all, Leave No Trace!

Them there hills are calling you.... out you go and ENJOY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

wai.ie isn't opening anything here for me.... any hints on what I could search for? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    wai.ie isn't opening anything here for me.... any hints on what I could search for? :-)
    I don't know where DjouceWalker got that address from .. it should be http://www.walkersassociation.ie/

Sorry, it was possible in the past to just use www.wai.ie but too much spam came in and Alun is correct, he gave you the correct address
    www.walkersassociation.ie
    whatever he gave you is correct

Great site actually, now that I've looked at it. I'm fairly newly dedicated to trekking across univiting terrain... and the boards here have been a great help in giving me ideas for different things I could try and in directing me towards sites such as WAI (dare I say it) with more info on them. The internet... isn't it great all the same!!! :-)

So what ye think? Will I be able to try that 70 mile trek across mountain and road next year???? Am hopefully not tempting fate now in saying.... that I'm 'sorely' tempted!!!:rolleyes:

Dear Ms K Sir,
    I welcome you to the community of sore, wet feet but I can honestly say that a blast of a vista of purple heather lighting up the sky for miles is a great reward.
    I note your area and must say its a bit sparse on decent hills and if you feel like doing some Wicklow hills, or Dublin hillocks, let me know and maybe I might be of use to you but I'll say in advance that I'm sixty and of the wellfed heifer variety and so may be out of your league. Anyway, "those boots were meant for walking", so you just up and away up them hills and just don't forget to turn back!

Kindest regards,
    DjouceWalker

• Advertisement

I GOT IT!!!!!
    One place in west Cork does Nordic walking (thanks Boards!)
    www.glengarriff.info/nordicwalking

and in Dublin there are classes on South side run by:
    email address:
    joyrus@eircom.net

I'm happy now that I have found a trainer near home.

Neither of the above came up in a Search, so perhaps someone would be smart enough to link them in such a way that the next person who wants this information might get it faster than I did? I'm not able to do this myself.
    I'm delighted to know about Boards and will contribute whenever I feel I know something others might need.

Two contacts in Ireland for Nordic Walking (I now know after several days searching with help from Boards) are:

joyrus@eircom.net (email) does classes in South Dublin on Tues & Weds.

www.glengarrif.info/nordicwalking
    runs full courses, one coming up 6-13 Sept in West Cork.

Yippee! I'm one happy Boards person!

Dear Ms K Sir,
    I welcome you to the community of sore, wet feet but I can honestly say that a blast of a vista of purple heather lighting up the sky for miles is a great reward.
    I note your area and must say its a bit sparse on decent hills and if you feel like doing some Wicklow hills, or Dublin hillocks, let me know and maybe I might be of use to you but I'll say in advance that I'm sixty and of the wellfed heifer variety and so may be out of your league. Anyway, "those boots were meant for walking", so you just up and away up them hills and just don't forget to turn back!

Kindest regards,
    DjouceWalker

Ah thanks Dj...

I have been going on wee treks with the slieve bloom club (past two sundays) and while they possibly don't carry the same challenge as the Wicklow mountains they are as good a place as any to start!! I will def be taking a look at the wicklow area soon. My plan for the coming weeks are.... sunday week another slieve bloom trek and I think MAYBE the burren challenge towards the end of the month. (Thanks to the link above :) ).

Actually if anyone could answer this question.... Is there much of a difference between a grade A hike in one club and the next? My first official hike was a B and the 2nd an A, which while tough in parts wasn't by any stretch of the imagination beyond my capabilities even given the mad extremes of weather we endured.... (while there were a few people who struggled with the 'A' walk I wouldn't have considered myself to be especially fit). I know Croagh Patrick last year left me with legs feeling like tree trunks for a week after. Though it would probably be true to say I was even less fit then than now. Damned office job!!!

So ur a heifer in training to be a mountain goat dj? ;)

A heifer in training to be a mountain goat:P! I love it!

In Bray STrollers, A Grade is harder, steeper, faster, longer than B Grade.
    Age group of many, many walking clubs in over 50 by and large, so if you are thinking of doing challenges, perhaps look to the Universities and see if they have top class goats. Extreme end of walking is climbing, so maybe thats where your heart is? The Mountain Log of the Mountain Council of Ireland is a magazine which you should read. Also, if you are going on hills, it is seriously advised to have MCI Insurance on an individual basis if they club you walk with is not covered. Its to insure you against possibly injuring others by falling stones, or a slip but in extreme cases, it will pay out on personal injuries. If you have your MCI membership you will get the Log direct to your home and you get discounts in many hiking shops.
    Just one word, don't go at the hill walking too intensively and then spin yourself out, learn the hills and the routes and pass your skills on. There are plenty gyms around the country for clocking up miles on static machines so if when you are outdoors, be sure to enjoy it and learn as you go! Good luck and many years of safe walking!DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Coolies - you can hit the top with a stone from the bottom :)

Advertisement