Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to split the rent as fairly as possible

Options
  • 29-07-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I’d like to find out what peoples opinions are in relation to the breakdown of rent for 3 people in a 2 bed apartment.
    • 2 Double Rooms
    • Couple share 1st Double room
    • Single has the 2nd room
    • Rent €1700 per month

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Either by 3 or half and half.
    Depending on the friendship etc of the people moving in together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

Half and half and all other bills divide by three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dizzyguy

I would not divide it half and half because the person who is not sharing a bedroom would be paying twice as much as the others for use of the living room. They might as well being sharing with only 1 other person for that price.
    i would do it as a 3:2 ratio
    why?
    Because for 1 bedroom there are 2 people using common areas 1+2=3
    For other bedroom there is 1 person using common areas 1 +1= 2.
    so it should be 1020:680....or 510:510:680
    Although make sure everyone knows why the rent is like so and really make sure people are in agreement with whatever you settle for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Rent is normally based on the bedroom rather than the other facilities, so I think 50/50 is probably correct.

Personally, I would give the single person a small reduction, e.g. 750 rather than 850.

PS 850 is absolute rip off for a room.

Plus the single might move in a bf/gf down the road and the amount of rent would have to be changed, if they had been paying less because there was only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Whats the bathroom story?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tecknopulse

Thanks for all your responses!!

The story is as follows.

Im one half of the couple, 2 years ago myself and boyfriend rented the 2 bed apt.
    A year later he changed jobs and as a result had to move out for 9 months while training.

I then rented the other room for €800, i paid €900 as i had the slightly larger room.

9 months on and b/f is back and the single wants to continue renting the room but is only happy to pay €600 which leaves €1100 for the couple.

We share the Bathroom and i own all the equipment i.e. TV, play station, Kettle, Toaster, cutlery, dishes, pots pans etc etc

Also,

The single person has a partner that spends at least 4 nights a week there!

I think the single is being cheeky expecting you to reduce their rent.

When they moved in they were happy to 800 for the room - they still have the exact same room.

But I do think it's only fair to split the bills three ways now that your bf has moved back in. But I wouldn't reduce the rent - they're chancing their arm.

The other person moved in after your boyfriend moved out?

If so, I think they are entitled to say "no boyfriend" or "I want a reduction".

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote: »
    The other person moved in after your boyfriend moved out?

If so, I think they are entitled to say "no boyfriend" or "I want a reduction".

Yes i agree with you, i am more then happy to give a reduction, i just want it to be fair. I really don't believe that a split of 600 / 1100 is fair.

Yes i agree with you, i am more then happy to give a reduction, i just want it to be fair. I really don't believe that a split of 600 / 1100 is fair.

600 / 550 / 550. Hmmm.

What would you be willing to compromise at?

Even 650 525/525 would be better considering that bills will also be reduced across the board. I'm sure i would have no problem letting the room to someone else for that price. Its still a big room in a very big apartment in a great location!

Even 650 525/525 would be better considering that bills will also be reduced across the board. I'm sure i would have no problem letting the room to someone else for that price. Its still a big room in a very big apartment in a great location!

Are you the leaseholder? If you are you have the power to charge whatever you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

tobiesheba wrote: »
    I think the single is being cheeky expecting you to reduce their rent.

When they moved in they were happy to 800 for the room - they still have the exact same room.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

personally I would not live with a couple, so problem solved :)

[There was a thread about peoples experiences on AH a few weeks ago]

dublindude wrote: »
    Are you the leaseholder? If you are you have the power to charge whatever you want...

Yes, I am the leaseholder.

At this stage i think its only fair that i say its a 650 525/525 split. I think most of you would agree that he would be getting a good deal at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Also,

The single person has a partner that spends at least 4 nights a week there!
    I think he would have a valid point if it wasn't for the above...

Yes, I am the leaseholder.

At this stage i think its only fair that i say its a 650 525/525 split. I think most of you would agree that he would be getting a good deal at that!

I think that is reasonable.

Advertisement