Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewings

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

(My first post) - I'm looking at a property to buy (I know how nuts this is right now, but i have no choice). Anyway, I'm meeting the agent and owners next week for a viewing. Is there any advice anyone out there might have on what to ask/watch out for (e.g. a pal said I should ask about schools in the area, which I never would have thought of). Anyway - all suggestions appreciated!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Why have you no choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 plans-for-nigel

Pitter-patter, extra bedrooms required....help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

(My first post) - I'm looking at a property to buy (I know how nuts this is right now, but i have no choice). Anyway, I'm meeting the agent and owners next week for a viewing. Is there any advice anyone out there might have on what to ask/watch out for (e.g. a pal said I should ask about schools in the area, which I never would have thought of). Anyway - all suggestions appreciated!
    :)

Well to be honest, it doesn't really make a difference what the owners / selling agent say about schools, more than likely they'll tell you what you want to hear... You'd be best asking someone else who lives in the area about the locality and schools, or worst case contacting the school and ask about waiting lists.

If you can make sure to drive by the area as much as you can at different times, check traffic and for anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Pitter-patter, extra bedrooms required....help!

Congrats! But honestly you'd be better off renting for the next 12 months .....

thanks for the tips, but to explain, I'm already on the property ladder, and upsizing. Rent for a 3 bed place for where I live is in the region of €1700/month, so will cost me €20K/year as long as I wait (plus the hastle of moving to an "interim" place). As I'm selling&buying, I reckon the (mostly downwards) fluctuations in prices will offset each other . anyway - like most other buyers out there, I am completly ignoring the agents prices and going with what I think the places are worth :-)
    Any other tips on what I should find out from the agent?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Something that you really have to consider is what the market for your current dwelling is. You have a property to sell- and its incredibly difficult to move anything in the current market.

If you are serious about moving, you would have your own home on the market and a firm offer on it from someone who is not tied to selling another property before you even consider looking at another property yourself.

It is nothing out of the ordinary for house sales to take 8-12 months (or longer) in the current market- and normally estate agents don't even bother showing you a house if they are aware that you have to sell a house yourself to finance the purchase of the new house.

To be honest- you really need to sit down and decide what your priorities are. If you want to move- the first step is to get your own house sold. Thereafter- you are in an incredibly strong position.

Any chain transactions are impossible at the moment- don't even think about bridging finance etc- banks are not offering it.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

anyway - like most other buyers out there, I am completly ignoring the agents prices and going with what I think the places are worth

i take it this is a joke?
    you really wont have a hope of selling your house if you wont meet the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

subway wrote: »

I think OP was talking about prices of houses he was considering buying.

subway wrote: »

this really isnt a helpfull comment. Its not a joke.
    I've already secured an offer in my current house. I'm in a position to make an offer on a bigger house.

When I say I am ignoring the agents about prices, I mean about ones I am buying.

Guys - not to be rude or anything, but I have had the "you are mad not to rent etc." converstations with everyone I know already. I appreciate the advice n'all, but I was looking for advice on viewings. If you have any, please let me know. I've done the "you are mad not to hold off" thing to death with friends/family etc.

Any advice on viewings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

as you can see from my comment, i assumed that you were referring to the place you were selling. i still amn't sure why...
    good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement