Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit

Options
  • 28-07-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I know this has probably been asked a few times but can't find the
    answer with the search function:

What is the typical (percentage) amount for a house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Not sure exactly what you're asking but if it's how much is the deposit compared to the monthly rent, it's usually 100% or even a little more and maybe stamp duty too depending on the rent.

1600 monthly rent + 1600 up front deposit + 200 euro stamp duty approx would be standard enough for annual lease

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or if you are buying a house.

Its typically a €5,000-10,000 booking deposit, usually refundable. Then bring it up to 10% when the contracts are signed. These days, the banks are expecting a lot of people to finance this themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Yep I meant buying a house (should have made that clearer).

So I'd pay €5000 to €10000 to secure the house as mine and then
    that gets up to the 10% and I go to the bank seeking the remainder less any money I may/dont have.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Probably leave it awhile and see how this recession pans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Might be a wiser idea to see if the bank will lend you the money before you put the deposit down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some EA's look for a 2 staged deposit.

Most solicitors can negotiate the deposit on your behalf if necessary or it its unreasonable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement