Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees underpaid

Options
  • 28-07-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    I've just completed a degree course through one of the NUIs, part-time over four years. The fees varied from year to year but were in and around €3000 p/a. When the invoice came for this year it was for less than €2,000. I promptly paid. I assumed that the reduced fee was because certain support elements of the course had been cut back. I have finished the course successfully and got my exam results. However I got a notice from the fees office today telling me that the fees were actually €3,260 and that I owe the university €1,350
    I don't think that I should have to pay this extra amount as the initial notice of fee was for €1,910 and this was paid. Had I known that the fees were going to be over €3,260 it is most likely that I would have deferred the final year of the course. I am trying to look at this from the point of view of a consumer. If I purchased, we'll say a fridge for €2,000, Surely the shop cannot come back in 6 months time and say that it was actually €3,000. What should I do? :confused:

Comments

toormore wrote: »
    Hi all
    I've just completed a degree course through one of the NUIs, part-time over four years. The fees varied from year to year but were in and around €3000 p/a. When the invoice came for this year it was for less than €2,000. I promptly paid. I assumed that the reduced fee was because certain support elements of the course had been cut back. I have finished the course successfully and got my exam results. However I got a notice from the fees office today telling me that the fees were actually €3,260 and that I owe the university €1,350
    I don't think that I should have to pay this extra amount as the initial notice of fee was for €1,910 and this was paid. Had I known that the fees were going to be over €3,260 it is most likely that I would have deferred the final year of the course. I am trying to look at this from the point of view of a consumer. If I purchased, we'll say a fridge for €2,000, Surely the shop cannot come back in 6 months time and say that it was actually €3,000. What should I do? :confused:

Hi toormore,

The problem with this is that most colleges have a rule which states that you cannot graduate unless all fees are paid. And to further your analogy, I think it would be more appropriate to assume that you paid €2,000 for a fridge and expected to get the fridge at the end of that year (since I assume you do not have your degree yet) so the shop is still holding on to it.

I'd do one or two things if I was you - contact the college and say you're dismayed that the fees have been left until after the course finished since you assumed you had no further fees to pay, and that you will be willing to pay the fees but over a long period. If what you're saying is correct and they made a mistake, they should not expect the fees any time soon since you did not have time to prepare for the payment of these (and you assumed there were no more fees!).

Secondly, you could point blank refuse to pay the fees but I believe that they will then withhold your degree from you until you pay. If you've received your degree already, well that's another story altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 toormore

Thanks Myth

I've got results but I presume that they may try and withhold the actual degree and graduatiion. I'm hoping that they might just realise that 'hey, we can't relly penalise this guy at this stage' over a clerical error made months ago. Hmm

Advertisement