Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who steals a wheel nut?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭

Just out to the car this morning and noticed someone has nicked a single wheel nut off the car!!:eek: It wasnt loose i had serviced it last week and did the handbrake and that, so all the nuts had been wound on nice and driver safe. Gas! beemer nuts must be on someones list :rolleyes: dont think they were after the alloys because they are bog standard.. but who knows... have lock nuts on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

People will steal anything...had the glass out of my mirror stolen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah had that last year on the van. little sh**s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

My Nissan badges were knicked a few years back.

Glass out of the mirror is shocking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad also had an attempted fog light bulb theft. Luckily they couldn't quite get the surrounds off and must have given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TBH that nut could have just fallen out. I have had that happen to be more than once believe it or not! (On a Beemer too!) The fact that you mention the brakes were done would mean that the wheel was recently removed. It is recommended that wheel nuts be tightened after 50 miles, any tyre garage will tell you that.

Just to add that I once had my number plate stolen (it was a California style plate on "Cal-look" VW Beetle). I was sick, it took me ages to get them, especially when I was trying to get a blend of legality & look for the plates, (3 & 1/4 inch high letters) .

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    My Dad also had an attempted fog light bulb theft. Luckily they couldn't quite get the surrounds off and must have given up.

Fog light bulb.. ffs..:) Like 2 quid or something. .. some people!!

TBH that nut could have just fallen out. I have had that happen to be more than once believe it or not! (On a Beemer too!) The fact that you mention the brakes were done would mean that the wheel was recently removed. It is recommended that wheel nuts be tightened after 50 miles, any tyre garage will tell you that.

Wheels where removed by me and put on by me. They were tightened and re-tightened. Wash the car like every 2-3days so it wasnt loose, had to be swiped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

listermint wrote: »
    Wash the car like every 2-3days

Every 2-3 days! Maybe it dissolved.

Every 2-3 days! Maybe it dissolved.

Im a nerd for clean :D . No there is a fecking quarry near by and it makes complete Sh**e of everyones cars, anytime in sprinkles a bit of rain it gets coated in the dust from the place. Right pain in the ass tbh.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Someone actually stole my aircaps once....you can have nothing in Ireland unless its nailed down, and thats only good if they dont carry a hammer with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

DirtyDog wrote: »
    Someone actually stole my aircaps once....you can have nothing in Ireland unless its nailed down, and thats only good if they dont carry a hammer with them

This happened to me too, twice. The 2nd time I caught the young fella that did it "in the act". I told him I was going to call the Gardai & his parents. He started to bawl out crying pleading with me not to. He then proceeded to give all the dust caps back, the shocker was he gave me at least 30 or so of them back!!! Tidy chrome ones (mine had these), large chrome ones, logoed ones, plain black plastic ones, etc.

Why? Why? why? :confused:

I know a tyre garage in Ballincollig, Co. Cork that you could get new valve caps from!!! (I got in there before you did Peter :D:D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

the shocker was he gave me at least 30 or so of them back!!! Tidy chrome ones (mine had these), large chrome ones, logoed ones, plain black plastic ones, etc.

Why? Why? why? :confused:

I think some scumbag kids collect them or something. Think someone on here said that when this topic arose some time back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Made In Ireland

Had a moped years ago when i was a young lad, the two mirrors were stolen off it on separate occasions.

My mate has a new impreza sti and he caught young lads taking the tyres air caps off it because they have "sti" written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone else remember the craze amongst boy-racers of stealing the front splitters off of Renault Lagunas about 5 years ago?

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the craze amongst boy-racers of stealing the front splitters of off Renault Lagunas about 5 years ago?

Laguna splitters?? They must look superb or else be ridiculously easy to pull off?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Laguna splitters?? They must look superb or else be ridiculously easy to pull off?

I just remember that there was a trend of attaching them to all manner of cars, usually cut to measure after being ripped off the Laguna and rettached to the Civic/AE86/Nova or other recipient vehicle.

Just try googling Laguna Splitter and see all the threads and advertisements that pop up regarding fitting them or selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

A good few years ago my friend's nissan bluebird was stolen, a few hours later the cops rang him to say it had been found in a laneway & other than been hotwired all seemed ok

we went out to collect it & he followed me home, afted about half a mile or so steam & smoke started coming from under the bonnet

the ba****** had stolen the radiator.

snowman707 wrote: »
    A good few years ago my friend's nissan bluebird was stolen, a few hours later the cops rang him to say it had been found in a laneway & other than been hotwired all seemed ok

we went out to collect it & he followed me home, afted about half a mile or so steam & smoke started coming from under the bonnet

the ba****** had stolen the radiator.

Im sorry but i had to smile at that one. thats given me a chuckle.. cheers man:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say the nut broke myself, it's not that uncommon to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

someone has nicked a single wheel nut off the car

Wheel nut gremlins are everywhere these days :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

DirtyDog wrote: »
    Someone actually stole my aircaps once....

same with mine, I have these silver/blue caps and someone robbed 3.. not 4, 3. I mean what the..:mad:
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the craze amongst boy-racers of stealing the front splitters off of Renault Lagunas about 5 years ago?

I have a pair of laguna splitters on my car. Tho my mate took them off hes old car. And then 3 weeks later these scobes stopped their car infront of my car, jumped out and tried to pull them off :eek: Needles to say I reversed damn quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I caught a little b**lix trying to get the blue chrome air caps off my (blue) Toledo a while back, in the car park at the butchers.

My grandad had the battery stolen out of his Golf back in the day, but this was in the 80s when nobody could afford batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

its possible some scumbag was going to attempt to take your wheels and was perhaps distrubed by passers by and thought better of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The rear passenger side window and a wheel were stolen from my parent's Starlet years ago. So my aul lad in his wisdom 'made' a side window using perspex and fitting it with some silicone sealer and gutter bolts! Ah memories of the pre-NCT days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

My grandad had the battery stolen out of his Golf back in the day, but this was in the 80s when nobody could afford batteries.
    An elderly neighbour had the battery stolen from an elderly Starlet way back in 2005 when everyone could afford batteries.
    B'stards even bent her bonnet:mad:

As for wheel nuts, probably wheel nut nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Just out to the car this morning and noticed someone has nicked a single wheel nut off the car!!

Since everyone is chipping in with their tales of thievery:

Someone stole the rear washer nozzle, from my Golf a few months back. They broke the plastic nozzle cover to get at it. It beggars belief what some people will steal.

I wonder do people swipe bits of cars to replace bits stolen from theirs? Maybe there's a single nozzle that was swiped from a Golf a few years back and the 'gap' now just travels between cars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Someone smashed the rear taillight in my mothers car to steal a bulb!!

Then someone else stole the hubcaps off my car, thought they'd stopped doing that and only stole alloys now;) Didn't mind they where cr@p anyway, and now I get the occasional wave from the Gardai:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Never got around to putting the hubcaps back on after the last NCT, so drove the Toledo around with the bare steel rims - kinda got used to the look tbh, and don't have to worry about them flying off when I hit some giant fooking pothole on some bogroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Wibbler wrote: »
    I wonder do people swipe bits of cars to replace bits stolen from theirs? Maybe there's a single nozzle that was swiped from a Golf a few years back and the 'gap' now just travels between cars. :D

In my youth I used to collect trolleys in a supermarket car park.

On two or three occasions people came up to me asking to get them car antennas for specific makes claiming that theres had be stolen :p I just told them to piss off and go into the motor store

I also used to drive a rover metro, and on two occasions the front indicator housing went missing, reckon someone was pinching them, was only 30 quid to replace but I often thought of hunting down a metro in a car park and continuing the cycle as they were easily pulled loose of their clip. Then again they may just have been falling off going over ramps, hmmmmm

Advertisement