Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Freeview Receiver Or Sky HD?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Been reading some of the posts here and doing a little online reading and trying to make a disiccion with regard to geting some HD content.

Theres now 3 HD tv's in the house 40' 42' 50' and the only HD content comes from the PS3 via blueray which is not real value for money.

So to get straight to the point, given the cons of sky HD, not been able to record BBC, C4 ITV HD content the sub of 15e and the cost of hardware would buying this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224786&&source=14&doy=28m7 along with the HD LNB not be a better or equal option?

The fact that i can still use my sky viewing card as normal in this HD box and the very cool feature of been able to record both HD and SD to an exrernal HDD via USB 2.0

The con of the Freeview HD is no football, movies and documentaries and sky one for that matter are not an issue for me as such.

If you had to make a choise which set up would you go for? im 70% in favour of the Freeview HD, just seems to make more sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

You need to do a bit reading on the forum.
    But here's a few pointers.

1. There is no such a thing a HD LNB
    2. i dont see if that Freeview supports MPEG-4 , if its only MPEG-2 its going to be useless in Ireland in about 2 days
    3. you can use Sky card but EPG will be only now and next no 7 day EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

by freeview HD do you mean the HD channels on freesat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Ah, just noticed they do say HD Freeview, however you would want to double check this with shop before you purchase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

When i said HD LNB what i was refering to is whats on the site which are stated as HD Ready LNB. EPG now and next wouldn't be an issue at all

Yes RuggieBear my plan would be to watch and record HD content such as BBC etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

So to get straight to the point, given the cons of sky HD, not been able to record BBC, C4 ITV HD content the sub of 15e and the cost of hardware would buying this
    Sky has far more HD content than you'll get FTA. But, you know it costs.

BBC HD is nice. I have not seen any ITV or Channel 4 HD.

SD recordings direct to hard disc are quite good, so you'll get lots of quality content from BBC1-4. Then use VLC to play them back on your laptop.

I don't like that Maplin model. I'd ignore the FreeView capability as it's probably incompatible with the new system for Ireland. The Satellite FTA side is probably OK but it's just not a well-known brand and there might not be the same amount of support/upgrades as for a better known brand.

Have a look at something like the Technomate 6800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Thanks for that guy.
    To tell you the truth i'd have more intrest in watching two flys on the wall than watching anything from ITV or C4 for that matter and FreeView is of little intrest as theres as many sky+ boxes in the house as tv's.

My main goal is to watch and record BBC in HD and to record BBC 3 and 4 would also be nice and if there were other english speaking HD content channels then so best, no more RW-DVDs no more recording from sky box to pc hdd just plug in external hdd and record and your backedup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

It's a very good price for a combined DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T HD receiver. The box should support Irish DTT, either SD channels, or HD channels (although they are some time away yet).

There are some issues though:
    1) It does not support a Sky card unless you buy an additional Dragon CAM.
    2) It only supports now and next on satellite.
    3) It will only support now and next on DTT - there is no mention of Mheg 5 for extended EPGs in the specifications.

There is a UK review here although you should ignore the bit about being "incompatible with the proposed Freeview hi-def channels (which are likely to employ DVB-T2)" - this does not apply to Ireland.

http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/digital-tv-receivers/mvision-hd200-combo-426740/review

Advertisement