Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunno anymore

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Rant;i stopped working about 6 weeks ago(i wont go into details) and since then i have been actively searching. I had an interview with a Pension company and an Insurance company. I informed both of them through the recruitment agencies that i had no experience in their respective market but i do have experience in the Financial Industry. Now both companies came back with positive feedback, i interviewed very well blah blah but unfortunately i do not have experience in their respective field.
    I am gutted because i did my best at the interview, an agent hinted to me that the reason the company rejected me is due to Work visa/permit!!! Now, i informed both companies that i would pay for the Permit if they wont(€1000) and that it takes 3-6wks, also i fall in the category of skilled employees.
    Now i am at my tether, i have the experience and i can do the job but why are companies reluctant to employ someone who needs a work visa????????????? Even if the person is willing to cover the cost.
    Altogether i would have to fork out €1200 pa to work!!!

It's doing my head in seriously, considering the fact i have lived here for 7yrs and do love Ireland this is getting depressing!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Lazy HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

probably but it's doing my head in!!! Like one of the interviews, it took me 2hrs to get there... i got lost ended up in a cab! and i had to take another cab out of the estate! Plus wait for 45mins for the bus!!!

arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Can you get the work visa sorted prior to applying for the jobs?
    Or is it a case of having to get the job first?

Seems like a sh!tty situation Min :(

Yeah it sure is!

Nope i can't get the work visa first...
    I have to get a job first before i apply for it

it's ****ing frustrating.....

thats mad, how you meant to get a job without the work visa... have you tried applying for irish citizenship?

• Advertisement

Will wrote: »
    thats mad, how you meant to get a job without the work visa... have you tried applying for irish citizenship?

I have been on a student visa for 7yrs, my yrs as a student don't count!

heheheh

In the Uk it's 10yrs(including student yrs) and you are given residency...

Hmm quite a dilly of a pickle

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

The problem you'll find at the moment is that there's more people than usual looking for jobs. They probably had another candidate who had relevant experience but didn't need a visa, so worked out as a better option for them. In fact they probably had 3 or 4...

I doubt it was solely due to the visa issue. Companies generally either will or won't provide visas and if they were one of the ones that won't they wouldn't have invited you for interview.

I suppose that doesn't help you much, sorry :(

Serafijn wrote: »
    The problem you'll find at the moment is that there's more people than usual looking for jobs. They probably had another candidate who had relevant experience but didn't need a visa, so worked out as a better option for them. In fact they probably had 3 or 4...

I doubt it was solely due to the visa issue. Companies generally either will or won't provide visas and if they were one of the ones that won't they wouldn't have invited you for interview.

I suppose that doesn't help you much, sorry :(

Hey there,

Am open to all suggestions. Apparently most IT small companines don't budget for people who need work visas. It cost €1000 and the time and they believe the time and effort they would need to invest in that employee.
    For instance most Banks do not apply for work visa/permit. You would have to be highly skilled for them to apply for a work visa for the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Any luck in finding a job yet MIN2511 out of interest.

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    Any luck in finding a job yet MIN2511 out of interest.

Hey...

Thanks for asking, got my new job about a month ago now :) And so far i am loving it!
    Actually the week i started this thread i had 3 interviews, two paid off and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Hey...

Thanks for asking, got my new job about a month ago now :) And so far i am loving it!
    Actually the week i started this thread i had 3 interviews, two paid off and all :)

Congratulations, best of luck with the new job.

Advertisement