Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Irish RFID border control is a ploy to get us all chipped through the back door

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Irish and UK citizens have enjoyed centuries of being probably the only countries left in the western world where the use of compulsory ID was not required. In the last few generations we never needed to travel between the UK and Ireland. Many Irish and UK citizens do not have any ID at all and never needed it except for driving a vehicle and up until recently did not need it in person.

Now we are told that new form of electronic identification will be necessary to enter between the UK and Ireland which by 20th October 2016 will be exclusively based on RFID microchip technology.

What gets me is that we had twenty years of IRA bombings and it is only now when the two countries are probably at their closest ties for 800 years that they have decided to introduce these draconian measures.

Are these measures being imposed beyond the powers of the UK and Ireland? Are they being imposed by the Global powers beyond the UK & Ireland to eventually force us to carry RFID ID on us 24/7? just like Ireland was forced into the option of accepting RFID incorporated passports since October 2006.

What freaks me out is that this electronic RFID tag will eventually be incorporated into a our new smart credit card size driving licences. So in future all we will need again is our driving licence to travel between the UK and Ireland. People will be tempted to go for a smaller ID card rather than the expense and hassle of carrying around a passport "book" with them all the time.

Only recently it became an offence to drive a car without having our licence in person. How long will it before it will be an offence to be walking our streets without carrying some form of compulsory microchipped ID in person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Irish and UK citizens have enjoyed centuries of being probably the only countries left in the western world where the use of compulsory ID was not required.
    Schengen?
    Only recently it became an offence to drive a car without having our licence in person.
    You think it would be a good idea to let people drive without a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

. .... tell our enemies that they may change our cross border controls, but they'll never stick chips in our arms or take... OUR FREEDOM!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

djpbarry wrote: »
    Schengen?
    You think it would be a good idea to let people drive without a license?
    I never said it was a bad idea.

I never said it was a bad idea.
    Eh, ok....

Maybe if people had their driving licenses implanted in their arms, they wouldn't have to carry a paper license around with them ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I still dont get this Schengen thing.

Do we have fredom of movement within the realm of the EU for all EU citizens, or was that yet another shortlived dream killed by petty beuracrocy and general paranoia?

whats the gig, if I as an Irishcitizen wish to travel from Germany to France

last time

roll onto train
    little guy comes along when we near the border and asks to see tickets and ID
    I pull out EU Passport, he has a look at the photo happy that its me
    Continues along on his merry way to harras some blackfolk further down the train.

so what happens with this Schengenthing?

• Advertisement

whats the gig, if I as an Irishcitizen wish to travel from Germany to France

last time

roll onto train
    little guy comes along when we near the border and asks to see tickets and ID
    Nope, not any more.

Schengen resulted in the abolition of physical borders among participating countries. Border posts and checks have been removed between the states which form the Schengen area. The Schengen Borders Code requires participating states to remove all obstacles to free traffic flow at internal borders. Thus, road traffic is no longer delayed; road, rail and air passengers no longer have their identity checked by border guards when crossing borders (however, security controls by carriers are still permissible).

Nope, not any more.

Schengen resulted in the abolition of physical borders among participating countries. Border posts and checks have been removed between the states which form the Schengen area. The Schengen Borders Code requires participating states to remove all obstacles to free traffic flow at internal borders. Thus, road traffic is no longer delayed; road, rail and air passengers no longer have their identity checked by border guards when crossing borders (however, security controls by carriers are still permissible).
    Schengen resulted in free physical borders but no mention of the the invisible borders through each country, in the way of electronic toll gantries, portal scanners and every where else one would use a smart card or Epass.

Every time a car drives through the M1 Boyne bridge or the M50 toll plasa with an e pass it is in effect passing an "invisible border" that can expose personal details to the waiting authorities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

So what about tavel from a non schengen state ie Ireland to a schengen state, say Spain?

will my Irishdriving licence be enough ID, or will Ibe manated to have some form of RFID?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So what about tavel from a non schengen state ie Ireland to a schengen state, say Spain?

will my Irishdriving licence be enough ID, or will Ibe manated to have some form of RFID?

Why do you phrase that like an either/or question?

You may find, for example, that your driving license is sufficient, but that your driving license also contains an RFID chip.

You may need a passport, but not be required to have an RFID-chipped one.

Its not either/or.

The Irish driving license is a joke and I think it was intentionally designed to "fall apart".( I had a neat Western Australian credit card license 15 years ago which I exchanged for this Irish piece of trash), I go through one at least every two years from wear and tear carrying it in a bike jacket in the pi**ing rain at all times. A few years ago I could leave it at home and produce it when I need it.

A stupid paper license generates more revenue for the DOE as a fee is charged every time for a replacement. The public will gladly accept credit card licences with open arms when this will be announced for several reasons, "it looks cool" America has them, etc etc,

No doubt the next license will be RFID, in particularly if they want to harmonise traffic offences, bans and penalty points between the UK Ireland and the EU. The pressure for spychipped licenses will come from outside our country just like the current electronic passports we will have no choice in the matter, ie If we chose against RFID based licences our licences may not be valid abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

ploy to get us all chipped through the back door

Is that a euphemism for something?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Schengen?

Well, he did say 'probably'.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I wonder would this have anything to do with the fact that illegal immigrants can wander in to Ireland easily and then disappear into the UK very easily through the land border with NI or on a ferry from ROI?

Advertisement