Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7600GT - upgrade to 9600GT?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't really been keeping up with graphics tech (since switching to Mac :pac: ), but this is for a friend's PC.

Machine specs are: AMD 3200+ (skt939, stock), 1.5Gb PC-3200, 7600GT (stock), WinXP, decent 400W+ PSU (IIRC).

Basically, he's been complaining of not enough storage space & his machine slowing down while playing Flight Simulator X, so an upgrade seems like the best solution.

But the budget's only around 210euro, so I need some help from you boardsies ;)
    • Should I only upgrade the GPU (to a 9600GT) & HDD (add a 750Gb internal)
      OR
    • Should I skimp on either the GPU/HDD, and get more RAM/an aftermarket CPU-cooler (for overclocking)?
    I'd be wary of getting an 8800-series card (not sure if the PSU could take it), and have been out of the building/upgrading/OCing loop for a good while.

Help?
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement