Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

catch the Schiff

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Type "Guardian Andras Schiff Beethoven" into google and you should get the Guardian's freely downloadable recordings of Andras' Schiff presenting and playing all Beethoven's Piano sonatas. Quite a find!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

stabu wrote: »
    Type "Guardian Andras Schiff Beethoven" into google and you should get the Guardian's freely downloadable recordings of Andras' Schiff presenting and playing all Beethoven's Piano sonatas. Quite a find!

Good Find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Thanks for pointing out this series of talks. I've heard a couple so far and they're full of insight and detail. They assume a bit of familiarity with Beethoven's sonatas and with musical terms, but are still quite easy to follow.

I'm not sure there are actual read-throughs of the sonatas - the Guardian's page for the series just gives links for the talks. If you've got your own recordings, though, Schiff's lectures make a good accompaniment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

ter be honest, I don't like him much, comes across as quite snotty, and yes, you do need to kind of need to know the pieces and these won't do as recordings, but it's kind of rare to find stuff like this ...surprised permission was given.

I suppose they just give you a glance of what going to the Wigmore Hall (they hate the "the") with an A-list pianist paying 40 quid a pop might be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

stabu wrote: »
    ter be honest, I don't like him much, comes across as quite snotty, and yes, you do need to kind of need to know the pieces and these won't do as recordings, but it's kind of rare to find stuff like this ...surprised permission was given.

I suppose they just give you a glance of what going to the Wigmore Hall (they hate the "the") with an A-list pianist paying 40 quid a pop might be like.

Hey, revivified forum!

Anyhow, yeah, they're a great series of lectures. You do need to know the pieces first, though, but it's possible to get a complete recording cheaply enough. (I think Barenboim's first cycle is about €30-€40 in Tower.)

Apparently he didn't get paid for the lectures - he gave all the money to Wigmore.

Advertisement