Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blisters: burst or leave alone?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

After a decent hike and breaking in my boots, i have a few blisters on my feet, one in particular on the heel.

i have to head out on a small hike next weekend, so want to have rid of the blisters by then. should i burst or just leave alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Burst Them IMO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Neither. Get some Compede blister plasters, they're fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Burst - I've had a few recently and experimented by not bursting them.

If you don't burst them, the water inside the blister turns into horrible dead skin tissue after a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

wiki says this
    The unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to infection. This means that you should try to keep blisters intact and unbroken in order to avoid infection.

i will try the blister patches as i have one here. if its still big by this day next week il just burst it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Burst them. Squeeze out the pus (ewweee).
    Disinfect, then cover with blister plaster (compede etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm a burster myself - followed by a plaster over burst site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just use a pin right at the edge of the blister and drain the liquid from the hole. It's only blood serum not pus thankfully.

Make sure you clean and disinfect both the area and the pin you use first though.

Then cover up with a Compeed.

You could also look at sock liners as well, I find them a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

can you give a link to a page showing sock liners. im having difficulty finding an example of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

fret_wimp wrote: »
    can you give a link to a page showing sock liners. im having difficulty finding an example of one.

Sorry just twigged this now. Link here. Most outdoors shops do them, just ask about them next time your in. I find them great, no doubt there'll be an equal amount of people that find them useless though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Didnt see this thread when I started mine. The skin around mine was already cut when I got the sock off. I used compeed this morning so I hope it does the trick. I have an adventure race saturday which includes 50km bike ride 15km run 2km kayak plus other tasks. Should be fun with a blister covering the ball of my foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Pierce them at opposite ends with a desinfected needle, push out the plasma/fluid. then cover with Compeed patch. If they're really big or torn/ruptured it might also be wise to top the blister by taking all the loose skin of with a scalpel.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

its better in the long run to burst blisters if they are in an irritating place such as on the heel. once i burst they usually heal in a few days and cause much less discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Glue the loose flap of skin back down with superglue.

Advertisement