Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmore Quay

Options
  • 27-07-2008 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Many of our fellow campers, have been using Kilmore Quay as a Wild Camping spot. This weekend there were some 15 units there. On Saturday night/Sunday morning a friend of mine had one of his windows broken by an individual or individuals. He was driving an A Class Hymer. The person or persons, who damaged this camper don't want campers parking in Kilmore Quay. So think carefully before deciding to spend a night in the area. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't want to read too much into that vandalism (yet), you get idiots everywhere. Mindless destruction unfortunately knows no respect for anything.

On the other hand ...

If i came up to a "wild" camping spot and there were several campers there already, I simply would move on to somewhere else.
    A conglomeration of 15 vans is stretching the goodwill of the neighbours (and the authorities) a bit far, imo. I don't know what Kilmore Quay is like ...but it's not a campsite.

We motorhomers as a group have a responsibility to keep our hobby clean and the neighbours sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

There was 19 Campers in Kilmore Quay on Sat. night. The damage that was done was to a side window of a Hymer parked on the carpark side of a line of campers .it happened at 4 am. by scumbags who drove off at speed.
    There are no neighbours near where the campers park so they dont disturb anyone.

The weekend before last there was 17 campers there ,and the week before that there was 21 campers there so it's a well known area to stop over . Im sure the local shops and chipper dont mind .
    Bido:mad:

Is this Kilmore Quay?

63-harbours.jpg

if so ...where are the 19 - 21 campers parking without annoying anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

The area that campers Park is not in that photo, Drive down and stay there some weekend.:rolleyes:

bido wrote: »
    The area that campers Park is not in that photo, Drive down and stay there some weekend.:rolleyes:

Why would I?

I'm from the other side of the country ...and if I wanted the company of some 20 other motorhomers I'd go to a campsite :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

peasant wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to read too much into that vandalism (yet), you get idiots everywhere. Mindless destruction unfortunately knows no respect for anything.

On the other hand ...

If i came up to a "wild" camping spot and there were several campers there already, I simply would move on to somewhere else.
    A conglomeration of 15 vans is stretching the goodwill of the neighbours (and the authorities) a bit far, imo. I don't know what Kilmore Quay is like ...but it's not a campsite.

We motorhomers as a group have a responsibility to keep our hobby clean and the neighbours sweet.

Not too sure about that as I used to camp there about 20 odd ( early 80's)years ago and so did a lot of people with caravans but the locals wanted them all moved and moved they were. Used to be a great place to camp but after the locals objected the place was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Stayed here last week end .The wild camping area is out of the way, its by the memorial gardens .To the left of view on the photo supplyed by peasant , a good fifteen hundred meters out of the picture.

Noticed a no campervan sighn in tramore this morning.I get annoyed by these sighns and the mentalety behind them .All visitors should be welcomed once they dont cause problems.

We as a group should boycot such areas as we are now a big group and spend a lot of euros in the pubs clubs chip shops local buisnesses etc we should contact our councils and make sure they see reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HBAMS

I'm disgusted with the County Councils here in Ireland.
    We travel to France and we are welcomed in small towns and villages. We seldom see barriers.
    We come back into Ireland via Rosslare and have to travel at least 80klm before it is safe to pull in to make a cup of tea.

"We as a group should boycot such areas as we are now a big group and spend a lot of euros"

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I'm still not too clear where the 20 or so MHs park overnight.

I would say the locals would be only too delighted of there was a boycot.

Perhaps they object to overnight parking near the memorial gardens to those lost at sea?

*Kol* wrote: »
    I'm still not too clear where the 20 or so MHs park overnight.

I would say the locals would be only too delighted of there was a boycot.

Perhaps they object to overnight parking near the memorial gardens to those lost at sea?[/quote]HI kol this is a picture of some of the parking area which is out of the way of the village and memorial gardens.and yes you could easily park twenty motorhomes . As for the locals i think most people are happy to see motorhomes once they dont cause problems like littering or banging out loud music at all ours of the night.
    [20457.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I cant see the picture for some reason?

Is it an actual parking area? Unfortunately some people would associate overnight parking with littering (even if it's not the case for MH users), noise shouldn't be a problem if it's out of the way.

The thing that would make me not want to stay there is the chance of getting the MH damaged. It's most likely individuals who do not represent the locals who are causing these damages.

As usual when things like this are highlighted the "group" gets a bad name rather than the individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coldsurfer

I think most county council's/local authorities don't have an issue with overnight camping related to holidaying/tourism. Speaking from experience the main factor that leads to 'No Camping' signs are groups of travelers/itinerants that abuse goodwill. It's not all travelers but some groups bring nothing but crime to an area and locals are verbally abused and intimidated. Until such time as our political representatives take their heads out of the sand and deal with traveler issues, 'free-camping' will always be a contentious issue in some areas of the country.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I cant see the picture for some reason?

Is it an actual parking area? Unfortunately some people would associate overnight parking with littering (even if it's not the case for MH users), noise shouldn't be a problem if it's out of the way.

The thing that would make me not want to stay there is the chance of getting the MH damaged. It's most likely individuals who do not represent the locals who are causing these damages.

As usual when things like this are highlighted the "group" gets a bad name rather than the individuals.

Hi kol i agree .
    Cant get the damn photo up sorry driving me mad. The only reason the locals would have a problem in an area is this side ways parking.Or just to many of us ruining the view.Or what about a bit of good old fashioned begrudgery. As a bunch we dont leave a mess and we eat and drink and spend our money in the local area. i think this kerry fiasco was abit of pollitics .Im sure if the politician in question was making money from holliday makers the issue would never have arrisen.

coldsurfer wrote: »
    I think most county council's/local authorities don't have an issue with overnight camping related to holidaying/tourism. Speaking from experience the main factor that leads to 'No Camping' signs are groups of travelers/itinerants that abuse goodwill. It's not all travelers but some groups bring nothing but crime to an area and locals are verbally abused and intimidated. Until such time as our political representatives take their heads out of the sand and deal with traveler issues, 'free-camping' will always be a contentious issue in some areas of the country.
    Your making a lot of sense coldsurfer what an excelent first post welcome on board.
    And as you say its not all travellers. I suppose you get a few degenerats in every community.:)

Easy on the tarring with the big brush there!

Unfortunately you also get quite a few "degenerates" among us motorhomers.

it's a pity the issue arises, coz when you see the free-camp/donation facilities that the national park services provide in the likes of NZ and OZ you begin to feel like you're traveling in a 3rd world country when on the road at home!

no tarring intended peasant, just speaking from experience!

peasant wrote: »
    Easy on the tarring with the big brush there!

Unfortunately you also get quite a few "degenerates" among us motorhomers.

exactly its only "a few" that cause the problems . not travellers in general .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I done a lot of sleep over stops in my car as i am to mean to use camping sites where I might wake up with a river running through my tent and having paid for the privilage been there done that

In that time year on year i se more places with no overnight camping campers parking whatever allowed

When I inquire there is a story often a unsuitable group of MH owners no travelers who created problems
    Or the local camp site created issues to bump up funding
    or locals chose to do fly dumping at the site and the MH get blames

The days of wild camping in Ireland are numbered

Achill Island Co. Mayo is nearly impossible any where on it and they say it was the surfers MH that caused the problem

I don't know but MH have also caused problems

Travelers have also cuased problems but nowadays they seem to be staying at special sites so that problem has reduced a lot

New agers in the UK have cuased serious problems and in France have been deported when the police arrived with hundreds of police force to eject them
    Not sure what issues from new agers here in Ireland

Now a days I wont tell anybody where I do my wild over night stops as it risk s to lose it forever if others follow suit

Also the elderly Scottish couple being attacked and seriously injured near Newry camping wild at a layby makes a high visibilty camper van a juicy target for maurding violent types who these days are very mobile

In Spain mauranding East Europeans or north Africans often force camper vans in the outback parts of Spain off the road and then steal the whole van and all its contents

So the issues exist all over Europe accept most Europe is very big and very empty and so they cant stop wild camping so easily as the very small Ireland

Publising any wild site is looking to lose the site faster than the town counsil can drive there to erect a no camping notice

Derry

Advertisement