Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in same place as a family member?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I am a recent graduate who is finding the job search very challenging. My plan for finishing university has been to work, to gain valuable experience, to earn money for a year and then to do a masters course in Britain starting in 2009. My degree is in the humanities and I achieved a first class honours degree. I'm struggling to find a job. I have applied to a diverse range of places from banks to pubs to shops etc. and if I hear anything back I'm either overqualified in the case of pubs and shops and I don't have the required experience for Banks, financial institutions. There is absolutely nothing in my field of study at this moment in time unless I have masters qualifications and experience. I'm not setting my sights too high, I'm just looking for something to keep me ticking over while I earn the money to pay for my masters.

What has worried me is the state of the current jobs market. I know an ever increasing number of people who have experience and degrees who have been made redundant recently and they are struggling in the jobs market for even the most basic of positions. Two years ago when I was considering dropping out of my course there was so much out there and now two years later there is just so little. I have a keen interest in the Irish economy and I have no doubt that things will become significantly worse over the next 6 months to a year so I know I have to find something soon and not let this job search drag out.

That's the background but this is my issue. My brother works in a well known finance company and has basically offered me a position in the same office as he works in. He is a senior supervisor and he hires and fires staff. He has told me he is receiving 3 times the number of CVs he was getting 6 months ago, many who are experienced, have degrees and many have a common theme of being recently made redundant. He was plain honest with me and told me that because I don't have full-time work experience I'm going to struggle in competing with these people in the open market and I completely agree with him. It's an employers market. Apparently there is a sales position open in his office, pay around 20k per annum which I would be happy with. Even though the position is in the same office as him I would be working under a different supervisor. He knows my strengths, my character and my work ethic and he said he would have no hesitation in hiring me.

I have worked in this company before part-time for one summer in another department to him and things went well then so I've no doubt I would be able to 'hack it' but the notion of nepotism and working in the same office as my brother would make me feel apprehensive, uncomfortable and worried about office politics etc. On the other hand, I'm getting desperate. I want experience and I don't want to spend the next 12 months on the dole and then not having enough money to do a masters course. I just don't think its a good idea for me or him but he seems more relaxed about it than I do. I'm 50/50 on this but I have to make my mind up by the end of this week. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Just take the job this isnt the time for thinking if its been offered take it.In the meanwhile something else may come along.Just dont let anybody know your brother hired you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you're unsure about this, why not go temping? Then you'll build up experience and become more attractive as a potential employee. Or aim a bit lower: call centres (incoming), factories etc. It's only for getting a bit of money together and I'd say call centre work helps you to acquire some great skills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Hhhmm...working with family can be difficult no matter what the job.

I help out in the pub/restaurant that my brother runs alot of weekends and I try to keep below the radar as much as possible. You cant have a disagreement without it blowing up into a family affair. Its all over 5 seconds later but I hate fighting with him so I tend to keep my mouth shut...and then do what needs to be done anyway! :D. I need the money for a course that Im planning on doing so I zip it and get on.(most of the time unless he reallyreallyreally annoys me!)

Hope hes not reading!

If youre stuck for readies then agreed re temping. Its a pain but youll have your masters out of it and thats all that counts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nothing wrong with a helping hand op,plus you've worked there before so its not like your a noob.I was in the same position as you last year and spent the year on the dole-do you want that to happen to you??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unregboyo wrote: »
    Apparently there is a sales position open in his office, pay around 20k per annum which I would be happy with.

I have worked in this company before part-time for one summer in another department to him and things went well then so I've no doubt I would be able to 'hack it' but the notion of nepotism
    Nepotism only pays €20,000 these days? I'd say go for it.

I think there is a difference between helping someone starting out and carrying someone who isn't carrying their own weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

If it was me in your position I'd take the job. You've worked there before so they "know you" and you've proven yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I found myself in a similar situation when I finished college. There arent many jobs in my field - a lot are in the construction industry which has gone a bit tits up lately. I needed a job, and I went for an interview for the same organisation where both my parents work. I ended up being panelled and got a job in the department where my mother works, and is in fact the manager. I'm sure people talk but I dont care. I got the job on my own merit. I'd say take the job, and forget about anybody else. If you need the money and you are able to do the job, what's the problem. You can always be actively seeking permanent employment elsewhere, but at least you'll have money coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies. I decided to take the job. Its a great opportunity for me considering those 'foot in the door' jobs are becoming increasingly like goldust, I would be mad not to give it a go. Its not the ideal situation and its a difficult enough job, it really comes down to me being worried about letting my brother down if i'm crap at it, but that could be a positive as it will give me the added motivation to succeed.

Advertisement