Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat rash? or ???

Options
  • 27-07-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Ok my 4/5 week old baby has a rash all over is checks, around the mouth area and the neck area aswell. Its a red spotty looking thing, I put emolsyfing ointment on in and by morning i get a brown crust? but a quick wipe gets rid of it. Around the mouth looks sore. He also has yellow dry stuff on his head is this cradle cap? How can my newborn develop all this his he not too young?

He is on bottle feed atm. He doesn,t cry much he eats regularly usually after 4 hours. He loves his soothers. The house is fairly warm and i wrap the baby with a baby blanket usually keeps him relaxed and not twicting or relfex a lot. is this wrong?

Am so confused I don't want my super hero to have rash. The worse thing is that the doctor thinks its viral but no other symptoms so he is not sure. He eats and his tempareture is normal also a nice baby that doesn't cry only when is feeding time he lets us know alright :)

Am I just panicky as usual? I am a first time daddy and I need help:confused:

Comments

Could it be the soothers? Excess dribbling onto his bib/clothes chafing his neck? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Babies can quite often get contact dermatitis from their own saliva irritating their skin, but to be honest I think if you're worried go and speak to your pharmacist and bring the baby so they can have a look - the pharmacist will have seen this quite a bit and if they suspect it's something else they'll advise you go to the GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

As regards the cradle cap..rub some olive oil onto your babies head and leave it there for a while before gently combing the hair with a baby comb. Oh and congratulations btw, and try not worry too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Another remedy for the cradle cap is to smear Silcocks Base on the babies head and leave for half an hour (the longer the better). Then comb the cradle cap out. Silcocks Base is also great washing them with also. Very gentle to their skin.

As OsciiBoscii says the rash could be drool. Although with the brown crust gathering it may not be. Try to keep the area as dry as possible. Regularly change bibs and wipe under soother etc.

Congrats and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

It sounds like cradle cap on his head alright. My first born got it in his eyebrows too and the GP said it was a fungal infection from a cat or dog so cue an argument as to who hadn't washed their hands before touching baby! He was the same age too. Doc prescribed cream that cost 10 old irish pounds-this was in 1989. Anyhow when we went to the paediatrician for the 6 week check up he said it was cradle cap and rubbed it off. Same GP couldn't diagnose chicken pox but that's another story!
    I'd second other people's views that the rash on the neck and around the mouth might be from dribble. Heat rash either maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The rash could be a milk rash too. Our little one got it when we switched her to bottles. Just try to keep the area dry. We used sudocrem at night and it helped.

Olive oil and combing out is supposed to be good for cradle cap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Thanks guys.

yeh the mouth area was the milk dribbling and now we make sure its all dry and clean and its actually getting better.

The cheeks are still rashy looking and we discovered the brown crust was form the ointment we put on its removing the bad skin and some part is looking nice and smooth.

The rash on the neck is also still there but we are trying powder on it because they seem to be wet, basically not dry. Waiting to see the out come.

Apart from that he is fine not a cryer and he eats well, he loves his food.

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

It sounds like a damp rash to me, when babies drool they can irratate the skin and with having a soother in also this wont give the skin time to dry. I would only use something like vasaline, its mild and will help keep it from crusting over at night, during the day i wouldnt use anything. try keep the mouth and chest area as drool free as possable.

Yes yellow scabby stuff on his head is cradle cap. When you wash his hair give it a very gentel scrap with your hand and try and loosen off the scabs, once you have done this put a little olive oil on his scalp. not every day mind just when it gets very flakey.

Its nice to see a concerned dad.
    RealistSpy wrote: »
    Ok my 4/5 week old baby has a rash all over is checks, around the mouth area and the neck area aswell. Its a red spotty looking thing, I put emolsyfing ointment on in and by morning i get a brown crust? but a quick wipe gets rid of it. Around the mouth looks sore. He also has yellow dry stuff on his head is this cradle cap? How can my newborn develop all this his he not too young?

He is on bottle feed atm. He doesn,t cry much he eats regularly usually after 4 hours. He loves his soothers. The house is fairly warm and i wrap the baby with a baby blanket usually keeps him relaxed and not twicting or relfex a lot. is this wrong?

Am so confused I don't want my super hero to have rash. The worse thing is that the doctor thinks its viral but no other symptoms so he is not sure. He eats and his tempareture is normal also a nice baby that doesn't cry only when is feeding time he lets us know alright :)

Am I just panicky as usual? I am a first time daddy and I need help:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

He seems like a great little boy and you're blessed that he's so good. :) You're obviously doing a good job!

Advertisement