Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did WW2 become known as WW2 ?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

As the title says "When did WW2 become known as WW2 ?". Was it during or after the war that it recieved this title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

During the war.
    The earliest answer google throws up is 1942 by "someone in Roosevelt's administration", but no precise source cited. I'll keep looking...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did they rename the Great War at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

robinph wrote: »
    Did they rename the Great War at the same time?

WWI replaced the Great War as it's title when WWII as a title was introduced.

Apparently it was seen as a way of linking the two wars together and thus feeding in on the patriotism of the older generation who fought in WWI and trying to bring younger Americans around to the idea of fighting a second one. It was just before or just as America entered the war.

It was a White House press attache who came up with it but I can't remember his name. I'll try find it this evening.

Advertisement