Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Problems - Why is it so difficult?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Any job I've ever had, its taken at least 2 months (best case) to 4 months (worst case) to get off of emergency tax.

I mean, if your P45 isn't from the current tax year, you've to fill out a 12A form. Fine, no problem. They are then supposed to send a tax cert to you and one to your employer. Seems simple. Why do they make it incredibly complicated?

Why does it take 10 phone calls for them to send out a tax cert? Every time its like, oh you'll have it in a couple of days, it will be going out tomorrow, blah, blah....

I mean, its been 1 month now, and they've basically done nothing again. I mean, what is the problem? Why do they refuse to send out tax certs? Why do they always tell you that its on its way, or its being sent out the next day? I mean, four months on emergency tax is crazy. How are you supposed to live when they are taking 550 euro out of 700 for two weeks work? I mean, i could quote my employers reference number, they named my place of work, and she was like.. ok, no problem.

I mean, if there is a backlog, thats fine, just say so, but this thing of 10 phone calls asking for it, and nothing being done really does take the whiz. Do they actually refuse to do anything on it or are they just incredibly incompetent and don't know what they are doing?

Why is it so difficult? I mean the things I've been sent are crazy. Tax certs with no credits at all, 12A forms which I have already sent them, sending a copy of a tax cert to me, but not to my employer (ie, my parents address two hours away), why can't they just get it right? I can't believe they get away with it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Strange. I've never had a problem with this. One phone call to the regional tax office with my new employers number and it's almost always sorted out within a month leaving me with no emergency tax problems. Perhaps things have gotten worse recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Strange. I've never had a problem with this. One phone call to the regional tax office with my new employers number and it's almost always sorted out within a month leaving me with no emergency tax problems. Perhaps things have gotten worse recently.
    Agreed.

=-=

OP, emergency tax is usually 40%, which would be €280 in your case, but €550 tax is nearly 80% tax... something ain't right. Almost tempted to ask tax lady where are you registered to work, in case they have you down for two jobs :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Same here. First thing I do when I get to a new job is get in touch with HR to get their tax reference number and then I give the Revenue a call. I find the Revenue to be very efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Maybe I'm incredibly unlucky, in that fact that out of about 15 phone calls I've only ever gotten two people who actually send out the proper tax certs. I always get the reference number, give them a ring, wait weeks for nothing to happen, and then call again, and repeat the process until they finally send out the tax certs.

Emergency tax continually goes up. The longer you are on it, they take a larger percentage... Most people are never on it for 4 months to find out.... That was from my last job, and i did get it all back eventually, so it was all just emergency tax.

EDIT: If emergency tax is 40% and as far as i can remember the top rate of tax is/was 42%... why would they make it beneficial to be on emergency tax if you are in the top bracket? Emergency tax def goes up and its not a fixed rate. I've had the experience to know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Never had a problem either. Always just rang the tax office and gave them employer name and number and cert issued to the employer straight away. Always been very quick

• Advertisement
Advertisement