Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom source ports

Options
  • 25-07-2008 2:42pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A good while ago I read about how Id Software had released the source code for Doom, and how various people had put in a lot of time and effort to get a truly 3d version of Doom working. To my great joy, I discovered Kickstart (now generally known as the Doomsday Engine) along with a whole bunch of resource packs that provided updated music and proper 3d models for everything from the weapons to the monsters.

Now, all of this is installed on my desktop PC which is currently boxed up in Kilkenny. I've had another look around and installed the latest version of Doomsday and what resource packs I can find on my laptop, but I'm missing some of the resource packs - does anyone else still use this? If so, what resource packs are you using?

(For those who don't know what it is, check out this video on youtube. Quality is rubbish but it gets the point across. This is also worth checking out.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks! I'd spent a while poking around doomsdayhq but missed those links. I'll try out some of the add-ons tonight, got all the 3d models for Heretic running last night and it's amazing, it might as well be a different game with all the charm of the original :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I messed about with Doom under DosBox a couple of years ago but I had never run JDoom until today. The difference is amazing! As Fysh says, it might as well be a different game!

I'm surprised I remember so much of the different map layouts considering it's been so long since I played through it :)

Advertisement