Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Location and Search Engine Ranking

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All,

Interesting question which I hope some of you may help clear up.

A new client has asked if having their .ie site hosted here in Ireland will affect their ability to get traffic from outside of Ireland.

Now I have seen articles and discussions before explaining that a .co.uk site hosted in the UK will fare better than if it was hosted here or in the US and the same applies to a .ie and I expect any other country specific domains. I suspect this may be a Google only issue also.

My own view is that there would be an advantage if the opposite applied. i.e they had a .com hosted in the US and they wanted to target Irish based people so getting a .ie and hosting it here would help. (Not sure by how much by the way. If anyone can shed some light on that I'd appreciate it?)

But I don't think it applies for what I would term international traffic?

Thanks,

Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

It wont affect its ability as it currently does not have an ability right (established website)?

.ie is for a specific market so determining who your market is and why and how they use the internet is very important.

Its a simple example but thats why google has hundreds of regional domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I switched my hosting for a .ie site from a host with US based servers to a host with Irish based servers and saw no difference in ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Windsurfer wrote: »
    A new client has asked if having their .ie site hosted here in Ireland will affect their ability to get traffic from outside of Ireland.
    .ie will always have a bias toward Irish-based searchers on Google.
    Windsurfer wrote: »
    Now I have seen articles and discussions before explaining that a .co.uk site hosted in the UK will fare better than if it was hosted here or in the US and the same applies to a .ie and I expect any other country specific domains.
    That's not technically correct, although in the case of the UK the many documented issues Google has with it's UK index may support locating .co.uk domains on UK IP space. My .ie site is hosted in US and it does pretty well in the search rankings here and abroad :)
    My own view is that there would be an advantage if the opposite applied. i.e they had a .com hosted in the US and they wanted to target Irish based people so getting a .ie and hosting it here would help. (Not sure by how much by the way. If anyone can shed some light on that I'd appreciate it?)
    You can still attract search traffic from any geolocation with a .ie. It's just easier with the relevant ccTLD. You can also use Google's geotargeting function inside GWT if you host on a gTLD.

Advertisement