Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordnance Survey "Doh!"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Very sloppy.

At least their mountain range ones tend to be accurate, the only ones i ever use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

They might have had to blank out the likes of military barracks for "security" reasons? I bought the latest edition a few days ago and like the expanded coverage but being a new edition I auppose they had to have a few typos and the like.

But it's nowhere near as bad as their 1/25000 wicklow way guide which they brought out about 10 or more years ago which was so badly printed and inaccurate that it had to be withdrawn and has never re-appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Use http://www.flashearth.com/

or http://earth.google.com/enterprise/earth_plus.html

I can see my car simultaneously parked both at work and at home in Google earth.

Move over Bi-Locating Padre Pio.

(Padre Pio could be seen looking out of two different windows of the Vatican at once.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

I bought my own copy today. There's some shocking stuff in there. The large scale central area reckons that Stephen's Green S. is one way. It does show Docklands station in the correct location, though.

The Red Cow M50 interchange is just plain wrong, and looks like somebody superimposed some of the new traffic movements (including some yet to be built, but omitting some that have been) on top of the old layout. It's a mess. In fact, both this interchange and the one with the N4 show the motorway exits as losing their motorway status far earlier than they really do. In this case, to be fair, they are basing their information on the incorrectly placed signage.

Overall, though, this is a very sloppy effort, especially since it comes from the company that charges us loads of money for their data on the promise that it's better than what you can have for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I have noticed alot of significant errors in their current Rural PLACE maps also, i.e. they survey by air and then don't verify on ground afterwards. Quite irritating especially if you are using their products for professional reasons and spending €120+ for a single set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many railway bridges and level crossings in this atlas are shown incorrectly - underbridges (under the railway) shown as overbridges. This may lead to incorrect journey planning by drivers of tall vehicles and consequent bridge strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is no excuse for the railway bridges being wrong, in most cases these have been there for nigh on a century and a half and many maps have been produced showing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The OSI are also dreadful at representing dual carriageways properly. It's not difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Their incompetence is even more amazing when they only have to glance at Google Earth to see where the things are.

Then again they are a "State Body"...a hideaway for all the blithering idiots in the country.

Advertisement