Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardiff University vs University of Nottingham

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've received an offer for a postgrad from both universities. It's the same psychology diploma in both places and Nottingham is rated only slightly higher than Cardiff in terms of Psychology - Nottingham is 8th and Cardiff joint 9th

I don't know which one to accept.

So I'm basically asking if anyone one goes to either of these universities or knows the cities and can give me some advice.

I've heard Cardiff is a nice city but I've been looking up flights and it's difficult to get to; I'd have to travel to Dublin. East Midlands Airport seems to be more assessable and affordable at the moment at least.

I've gone into Career Services at the university where I did my undergrad but they couldn't really offer me any more information. I've read the student guide books and while they were helpful, I'm still undecided.

I had pretty much decided on Cardiff until flights from Galway to Cardiff were cancelled, which has made them both even again and left me a bit confused!

I know it's a bit late to be thinking about it now but for some reason I assumed I wouldn't get offered both and now I have; It's great but I'm a bit unprepared.

So if anyone can give me any information or can make a recommendation I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

London to Cardiff takes 2 hours direct train and goes very often.

notthingham is meant to be nice as well but its the gun capital of the world. If the difference isnt that big go for the one which should be cheaper to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ThingsToDo

Don’t let the fact that it's might be hard to get a flight sway your decision.

Things To Do In Cardiff

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

trains are a real no-brainer in the UK- you shouldn't have any problems getting around, unlike here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

About flights to cardiff

if you fly to bristol with ryanair,get the airport bus to the train station (8 pound return takes 20 mins) then a train from bristol to cardiff (45mins,costs between 4 and 10 pound depending when you book) so it aint that bad.

Cardiff airport is odd in that the main bus from the airport stops before the last flight gets in, you can get a train nearby into city centre.

I studied in cardiff at glamorgan (terrible uni!) so i can't vouch out for cardiff uni cept to say their libraries are excellent.

I don't know what to say about cardiff,on the surface it's got everything a city needs,reasonable transport,not too expensive (compared to dublin anyhow) and has the typical nightclub,cinema,theatre,pubs. Personally i just found something lacking in the place,i didn't hate but didn't love it,it inspired an eh feeling.

if you have any direct questions go for it

if you don't want to answer it's cool but i was wondering what grade you got to get the masters? 2.1 or 2.2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

I did a Psych diploma at Cardiff, is it the conversion course yeah? I can't tell you about Nottingham but the department at Cardiff has a 5 star rating for research, it's very well regarded in Ireland and in the U.K. My diploma was a really good course, I learnt more in that year, in terms of conducting research, stats etc, than I did in my three years as an undergrad. There's some really interesting developmental, cognitive and health research going on there too if that interests you at all.

You can fly to Bristol if you can't get direct from Cardiff, flights go from Shannon - the train takes about a half hour then from Bristol (the most depressing place I have ever travelled through - even the people are grey :(), Flights are cheaper as well cause you fly with Ryanair, Aer Arann's thieving monopoly doesn't apply!

But you know yourself as long as you get GBR it doesn't really matter where you study, if Nottingham is less of a commuting nightmare for you I see your point, I chose to go to college halfways up the country and ended up with a perpetual fear of Bus Eireann :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chilli-Mandrin

ronano wrote: »
    About flights to cardiff

if you fly to bristol with ryanair,get the airport bus to the train station (8 pound return takes 20 mins) then a train from bristol to cardiff (45mins,costs between 4 and 10 pound depending when you book) so it aint that bad.

Cardiff airport is odd in that the main bus from the airport stops before the last flight gets in, you can get a train nearby into city centre.

I studied in cardiff at glamorgan (terrible uni!) so i can't vouch out for cardiff uni cept to say their libraries are excellent.

I don't know what to say about cardiff,on the surface it's got everything a city needs,reasonable transport,not too expensive (compared to dublin anyhow) and has the typical nightclub,cinema,theatre,pubs. Personally i just found something lacking in the place,i didn't hate but didn't love it,it inspired an eh feeling.

if you have any direct questions go for it

if you don't want to answer it's cool but i was wondering what grade you got to get the masters? 2.1 or 2.2?

I got a 2:1, which was the minimum requirement for Cardiff apparently. Nottingham only needed a 2:2 which I thought was a bit strange.

What's the nightlife like there? Are there any many places that have some good music i.e. not crappy pop chart/rap/techno stuff?
    I did a Psych diploma at Cardiff, is it the conversion course yeah?

Yeah, it is.

Thanks guys, it all helps!

Anyone know anything about Nottingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭COH

My friends moved to Nottingham a few years ago, some never came back they liked it so much! One is a student there and loves the university. It does have a rep for gun crime, but I have been there many times and have never had any problems whatsoever, quite the opposite in fact. Cheap and regular flights from Dublin with BMI and ryanair, the bus from the airport is only 7pounds and takes about 30mins.

The nightlife is great, LOADS of great clubs in the city centre, Flairs, The Cookie Clun, Rock City, Walkabouts to name a few, and the people are nice from my experience.

Like Cardiff its a city with alot of history, like anywhere it has its dodgey areas but sure where doesn't. Has a great selection of shops, places to eat, coffee shops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chilli-Mandrin

Cool, that sounds good.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
    I think I'm going to opt for Nottingham.

So...anyone know anyone about getting accommodation?

I just thought I'd ask since ye have helped so much so far

Advertisement