Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Temperature Record

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Anyone have data on the warmest ever Irish night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Good question, from 6pm to 6am July 17th 2006 my warmest night was 21.1C as an avg.
    But officially MM would probably know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    Good question, from 6pm to 6am July 17th 2006 my warmest night was 21.1C as an avg.
    But officially MM would probably know.
    Sadly not. and since most official stations are 09-09z stats, this may mask a very warm night.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

You're welcome to trawl thru these records Danno! The link below is for Shannon Apt August 1995.

There was a few sticky nights back then. From I can make out this is for the full 09-09 period day. So the 19.6 C min for aug 3rd would be the min temp between 09:00 aug 02 and 09:00 aug 03.

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Shannon_Airport/08-1995/39620.htm

At first glance anyways this is the highest I could find. But there may be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote: »
    most official stations are 09-09z stats, this may mask a very warm night.
    Yea i know, this is why an avg was done of my stats by WD from 6pm to 6am when there was a rare little difference in temp between the times on that muggy of all nights following that very warm day iirc.
    Just thought Met.ie would have something along those lines from 09-09Z?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I do think that Shannon AP is likely to hold such a record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looks like 19.6 could be it StratoQ. Browsed http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Ireland/IE.html and noting higher jumps out.

Slightly o/t. Is Shannon Apts 25.2 C now the highest temp so far this year?

You got a respectable 25+ in June, MM. Did it exceed Shannon's figure (officially)?

Actually just checked thr figure's for NI yesterday and Helens Bay Co Down easily beats all others with a max of 27.3C. :eek:

Will have to wait until the MWB comes out to see if anywhere else exceeded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just looking around for info on this and came across probably the highest dewpoint ever recorded in Ireland - 23.8 on July 12 1983 at Shannon - although the min temp was significantly lower: http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1962&posts=41&mid=225847&highlight=shannon+dewpoint&highlightmode=1&action=search#M225777

StratoQ wrote: »
    Actually just checked thr figure's for NI yesterday and Helens Bay Co Down easily beats all others with a max of 27.3C. :eek:

Will have to wait until the MWB comes out to see if anywhere else exceeded that.

wow when was that?

• Advertisement

Moved well off the original topic (feel free mods to move this to separate thread).

Anyhow the 27.3 C for Helens Bay Co.Down was reported for the 24th July last on this daily summary web page.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/aldergrove_latest_weather.html

It's a bit peculiar in that most other stations in Ireland were 2 degs lower at least. Helens Bay is sited on the coast near Bangor with no major mountains to create a fohn effect. (the mournes are at least 50km away).

It is though one of the most easterly stations in Ireland and given that a couple of stations in Wales also reported similar temps, maybe it was clipped by warmer air out east. Although you would think the cool Irish Sea would have pegged it back considerably.

Will have to see whether the UK Met confirm this at the end of the month. As a word of caution there was another high temp reported (near 29C) from another station in Co Down last summer and that has since been discounted. Many of these stations just churn out auto data and may not be fully QC'ed.

Advertisement