Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Plus locking up??

Options
  • 24-07-2008 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi - Hoping someone can help out. My sky plus box is constantly locking up doesn’t matter if recording or not. Also during a recording it will skip and the audio and video will go out of sync ... Anyone ever experience this before? any ideas as to what might remedy the fault? Is it possible to format the drive?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Hi - Hoping someone can help out. My sky plus box is constantly locking up doesn’t matter if recording or not. Also during a recording it will skip and the audio and video will go out of sync ... Anyone ever experience this before? any ideas as to what might remedy the fault? Is it possible to format the drive?

Cheers
    Start with the old reliable- Power everything off, unplug and leave for a few minutes.

Take care the box is well ventilated, overheating is a big killer of receivers.

Had similar problem with channels freezing on a plus box, a reboot seemed to sort it out.
    Also had a regular digibox freeze due to overheating.

If this doesnt work, investigate reformatting, but you will lose your recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Hey Will .. thanks for the advice. Have tried powering up and down many times over the past few months ... works sometimes not always. Ventilation is fine (nothing on top of box).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Could be HDD starting to die. Try disabling the instant rewind feature, which constantly has the HDD working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

First off put the box onto standby (makin sure you aint recording anything of course ;) )

Carefully unscrew both input feeds going into the back of the box (the cables held in place with nuts/bolts and take them out

Unplug the box from the mains and carefully screw them back in again, leave off for 30 seconds and plug the box in, leave on standby (red light) for 30 seconds and start her up

This helps sort this problem out a fair few times can be a bad update etc, if not then call sky tech and ask to do a system health check with them, they take some results and give you the verdict on whether the hard drive is borked or not

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Ballin havin the same prob as yourself and have been told by sky that it is most likely the hard drive on its way out. all ready lost all my recordings once as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Cheers Folks.
    I left the box disconnected over night so will give it a go this evening. What is the likelihood of sky replacing the box?? I have it about 18 months ..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They'll probably refuse to replace the box for free, until you say you're gonna cancel. THe cancellations department will probably offer to have the box replaced for free to keep you as a customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Have you tryed doing a software download? This normally sorts out many problems people have with Sky / Sky+ / HD viewing. Plug out the power lead at the back of your Sky box, press the back up button and keep it pressed as you plug the power back in. All the lights at the front of your box will light up and you will get a message on your screen saying your system is doing a software download. It takes about ten mins. When it is finished, just continue as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Sounds like you hard drive, the reset types solutions will probably work for a while (did for me) but you should think about either replacing the HD - not difficult or replacing the box.

My second hard drive is beginning to go so I am looking at the option of just getting a new box as my current one (pace 2) cannot use sky anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

• Advertisement
Advertisement