Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 3g E270 on Ubuntu 7.10 the Gutsy Gibbon

Options
  • 24-07-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Girls,
    I really hope you are going to be able to offer me some simple advise on this - I've done a bit of research so I guess I'm just missing something simple.

The O2 shop said that I should be able to get this 3G USB modem working, however they suggested that a 3rd party application maybe needed.

Anyway, here's what I got:
    - Ubuntu 7.10 is more or less default setup.
    - O2 3G modem Modem E270. The O2 Led on the modem is flashing green now and again - so it has USB power at least!

I should be going in to: System > Administration > Network. Under modem I should be able to configure this to the correct port (it doesn't appear but I can just type it on), so I guess so far I'm OK.

Now, here's the problem. I have no options for a HSPA Dialer.

No, I have not installed any Vodafone Software - should I? I DID install Salutis Connect, but when i click the icon to open the software nothing happens and yes i did reboot!

Would really love to hear suggestions.

Joe Leavy

UPDATE: i JUST INSTALLED VODAFONE MOBILE CONNECT CARD DRIVER V1.99.17 (It was the only one with an installer!!! (.deb file)

https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12&release_id=116

When i open the software I get the following error:

Your device "Huawei E270" is not properly registered with the kernel. Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux needs at least two serial ports to communicate with your Huawei E270. The program includes a set of udev rules plus some binaries that make sure that your device is always recognised properly. If you've installed from source, then make sure to copy the relevant files in the contrib dir

Hope this also helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salutis

I DID install Salutis Connect, but when i click the icon to open the software nothing happens and yes i did reboot!
    Hello Joe! I am author of Salutis Connect utility and I am really sorry - I forget add dependency on Zenity package. Today I fixed the issue and released version 1.1.7. So, you can update to the new version or just install Zenity package with command:
    sudo apt-get install zenity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I'm in the same boat as yourself Jleavy
    Trying to get the HSPA USB Modem working for 02.
    I have installed the vodafone software but still having no luck getting it to work.

Any ideas?
    It seems to recognise the device when pugging in.
    It prompts me for pin and that ok also.
    it only seems to run as sudo also but just getting an error saying it disconnected after 3 fail attempts to connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

syngindub wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself Jleavy
    Trying to get the HSPA USB Modem working for 02.
    I have installed the vodafone software but still having no luck getting it to work.

Any ideas?
    It seems to recognise the device when pugging in.
    It prompts me for pin and that ok also.
    it only seems to run as sudo also but just getting an error saying it disconnected after 3 fail attempts to connect

Hi,
    Maybe - you say it's an O2 Card - right?

On the Vodafone software you need a profile for the O2 Network so that it has all the o2 settings and not the vodafone settings.

I'm loking for a like for you - give me until tomorrow.

jleavy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Maybe - you say it's an O2 Card - right?

On the Vodafone software you need a profile for the O2 Network so that it has all the o2 settings and not the vodafone settings.

I'm loking for a like for you - give me until tomorrow.

OK - I might have it:

>You need to edit the networks.py file in:
    >/usr/share/vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux/resources/extra
    >
    >
    > to include a definition for the o2 network.
    >
    >
    > class O2Ireland(NetworkOperator):
    > netid = ["27202"]
    > name = "O2 Ireland"
    > country = "Ireland"
    > smsc = "+353868002000"
    > apn = "open.internet"
    > username = "gprs"
    > password = "gprs"
    > dns1 = "62.40.32.33"
    > dns2 = "62.40.32.34"
    >

This worked for me - once i got the card detected in Ubuntu....

SOURCE: http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2008-June/098491.html

thanks for the prompt response on this.
    Ok i have amended the networks.py file as you specifed.
    I don't have a username and password configured when using windows so i removed the credentials fro both fields.

When launching again from sudo it prompts for pin, i enter this but it will not connect.
    I kill this process and try again and receive the error message you state above.

Your device "Huawei E270" is not properly registered with the kernel. Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux needs at least two serial ports to communicate with your Huawei E270. The program includes a set of udev rules plus some binaries that make sure that your device is always recognised properly. If you've installed from source, then make sure to copy the relevant files in the contrib dir

is there anything else i am missing or a better way to troubleshoot this?

syngin

• Advertisement

sorry, i didn't actually go to the link that you sent.
    Will have a go and let you know

syngindub wrote: »
    sorry, i didn't actually go to the link that you sent.
    Will have a go and let you know

For the error you gave.
    Unplug the device, open up Vodafone software and plug back in the device./.. I think it's a bit flakey.......

Like my brain.

the whole thing is very flakey by the looks of it.
    Think i'm on my 10th Reboot now trying to get it working. doing my head in at the moment.

oh, the other i didn't mention. There is a phone number on the windows version specified but not specifed anywhere on the linux one.
    Not sure what the field name is.
    I have exported the network settings from windows and appears to be called phonenumber.
    Might try adding that field into the networks.py field and see if that works. Did you have to add this field in or notice this field appearing in windows?

ok, found a solution.
    Forget the third party bull**** apps.

this link is all you need for setting up the modem. Perhaps someone might like to copy this text to thread and delete my stuff ;)
    http://polishlinux.org/linux/ubuntu/three-uk-3g-modem-in-ubuntu-linux/

• Advertisement

Sounds like someone's happy :-)

ye, this is going to solve my whole network setup at home. There was thoughts of having a dedicated windows box connected to the web but no i can save myself that hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salutis

salutis wrote: »
    Hello Joe! I am author of Salutis Connect utility and I am really sorry - I forget add dependency on Zenity package. Today I fixed the issue and released version 1.1.7. So, you can update to the new version or just install Zenity package with command:
    sudo apt-get install zenity

Please note about Salutis Connect:

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron or higher version must be installed.

Advertisement