Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken window - who pays?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Myself and my OH are moving out of our accomodation on Friday, and as I was moving boxes today I broke the glass on the back patio door. My OH says that the landlord can claim it on their insurance or just take it out of our deposit. Is this right or should we be paying it seperately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I think it's pretty obvious that you pay for any damage you've done. You could talk to the landlord and see if they're happy to take it out of the deposit. Either way he's not going to claim it on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If you pay for it now you've control over what is paid.

If you let the landlord take it out of your deposit, he could take €x and add x% for the laugh.

I'd be surprised if he claims on insurance as most house policies have a €100 or €150 excess, and I couldn't see the window costing much more than €250 (without seeing it obviously.)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

no question, if you caused the damage you should pay.

Same happened in a place I lived at, even though there was a small crack in the window when we moved in - (we didn't bring it to landlords attention so we had to pay). Source the glass and get a quote, that way you have control over price.

Advertisement