Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaside ..... nearest beach ?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Where do people go ?

Tramore is traditionally the spot that most go to from Laois.

Anyone recommend anywhere else ..... within 2 hours of Abbeyleix ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as above, usually less than 1 1/2 hrs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

thanks for that.

Heard that courtown is getting a bit 'tacky' .... any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

2 hrs away... has to be the beach in Lahinch FTW!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks for that.

Heard that courtown is getting a bit 'tacky' .... any truth in that?

getting????

its been tacky for the last 30 years :D

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    getting????

its been tacky for the last 30 years :D

never been .... bit like tramore then ?

might try curracloe !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Clonea strand near Dungarvan in Waterford is beautiful, its 2 1/2 hrs from Portarlington so I wreckon its about 2 hrs from Abbeyleix,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Youghal is beautiful also. Any of the western beaches although nice, the water is bloddy freezing for bathing.

ok , thanks for all that

Abbeyleix to ....

Lahinch - 100miles - 2hrs 30 mins
    Curracloe - 64 miles - 2 hrs
    Clonea - 64miles - 2hrs.

I would prefer lahinch, i think .... but a bit too far for a day trip (a 6yr old and 4yr old on the trip).

Might try Clonea in the next week or two.... weather permitting.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I grew up in Tramore and while I loved being able to go to the beach every day in the summer when I was younger it doesn't bother me to be away from it at all (well obviously, or else I wouldn't have moved to Laois!) I like to go for walks on the beach on a crisp autumn day instead, when there's no tourists around :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 irishrover2007

Brittas Bay!!! Nice safe beach for kids only an hour and a half away!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

For a quieter (less touristy) day, try Dun More East... Prob more suited to adults than children... More of a romantic destination or good for walks than for beach, and u won't find slot machines or amusements there. (The attraction for me...) It's about 10 miles from Waterford city. Anyway there are a number of beaches along the coast in that area that are more secluded and worth taking the drive to find. Laois is the furthest point in Ireland from any stretch of water, but tramore / dun more east are probably the closest you'll find to Abbeyleix. Another option for a day out... and this time more suited to children is to go to Drumineer near Nenagh on lough derg.. They have a good childrens playground there and it is quiet nice. No beach... but it's picturesque and somewhere diff to try. One shop, one pub and a few boats tied up there to walk through. You should make it within the hour from Abbeyleix. :-)

Advertisement