Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

William Coll

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

William Coll was born Co. Roscommon in 1911. He worked for a time in England, and then moved to Bray, no idea of timeframe. He was married and had no family. That is all I have. Just maybe some body in the area may be able to add anything or direct me in the right direction. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Ask Henry Kearns at the Town Hall Book Shop opposite Smyths.... knows a lot about Bray's past.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Thank you, will do

Sadly, Henry was unable to help. Maybe some younger posters might ask their grannies or grandads if they remember old William. Many thanks

Aw, come on, he LIVED in Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

alot of people posting here probably don't originate from bray but have moved here

• Advertisement

Sorry, I dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Sorry, I dont get it

What do you not get.??

I might be able to help, the bray library has dozens of genalogy books.
    It also has census records and just the stuff you need, another possibility would be to read all the old bray books.

He lived in Bray, well do you know for
    a, How long did he live in bray for
    b, Did he have family here
    c, Did he die here
    d, Parish records
    e, Did he emigrate to america.
    f, Have you tried the phone book for Colls

If you can answer any of these we can help otherwise you might as well be looking for needle in a hay stack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

OP, you will find that most people on Boards are extremely helpful and if they can assist you they will, none of us..

Comments like
    Aw, come on, he LIVED in Bray
    just tend to rub everyone up the wrong way, especially when help has been offered already (albeit in vain).

Thanks for your interest, yes this is very much a needle in a haystack.All I know about William is that he was born 1911 in Co. Roscommon, worked for a while in England and then came to Bray. Some of his siblings were in Roscommon, some in England and some went to America. I checked emigration records but William did not go to America.
    I would guess he came to Bray about 1940.Contact with the family seems to have broken down, but family lore says he was married, but had no family. By the law of averages William is dead by now, at one stage I walked the cemetary in Little Bray, hoping to find a headstone,but without success. Any help would be sincerely appreciated

Mike Dragon 32, just saw your posting. Absolutely no intention of rubbing people up the wrong way, just wanted to stir up interest in the topic again. I sincerely appreciate all replys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No worries at all...

In relation to walking cemetaries, have you tried Shanganah? It might even be worth contacting other cemetaries and seeing if they have a register of who's there (in body, if not in spirit).

Thanks, it's worth a go

Advertisement