Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering MSC - advice

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

hI gUYS,

I have 3years work experience behind me and I am consideirng going back to college to do a fulltime one year MSC somethin IT related...

Im just wondering, how worth it...it really is?
    Like with an MSC, job offers would offer better wages?
    Or after 3 years experience,should experience be enough and an MSC not make much of a differnece for me careerwise?

I guess im looking for adivce from those who have done the working thing for a while, then went back for MSC,have you found much of a difference after completling one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HBK wrote: »
    hI gUYS,

I have 3years work experience behind me and I am consideirng going back to college to do a fulltime one year MSC somethin IT related...

Im just wondering, how worth it...it really is?
    Like with an MSC, job offers would offer better wages?
    Or after 3 years experience,should experience be enough and an MSC not make much of a differnece for me careerwise?

I guess im looking for adivce from those who have done the working thing for a while, then went back for MSC,have you found much of a difference after completling one?

I did an MSc part time and I don't really think it was worth it. For my former career in lecturing, yes, but in general industry, no.

Some employers do take it into account, some don't. I personally don't believe it will make a major difference to your wages.

I would put my energy into industry certifications, such as the Microsoft exams. I am currently doing the Oracle certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Most wont take it into account and if they do they'd only do it for entry level positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

I've had to recruit/interview people for IT positions (different types) and have to say a masters doesn't make any difference, experience is what really counts. If you did want to do a masters though I'd say think about something with more of a business focus if your degree is in IT as long-term it'll help you to have a more "rounded" background, failing that do a masters in something you really want to do

Advertisement