Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny Refuse Charge

Options
  • 24-07-2008 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Good morning!

I am moving to Raheny where I've found a nice place to stay, it's an apartment.
    The estate agency asked me (in its invoice, together with the deposit) to pay for the refuse charge (175 euro).

Actually I've never paid it before, probably my landlord did it for me. I used to live in the IFSC.
    Do I have to pay that to the estate agency or not? it's weird to me as I haven't heard about that charge even from my friends.

And if I have to pay that money, do I have to pay to the agency or to someone else and can I ask for a tax credit?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

grungina wrote: »
    Do I have to pay that to the estate agency or not?
    What does your contract say? It seems odd that the refuse would be singled out as in an apartment building, refuse is normally included in the service charge tha the landlord pays. Were you told that refuse was extra from the start?

I suspect the agent is trying it on, but I don't think there is any way to prove it.
    can I ask for a tax credit?
    Yes, just get a receipt with each item detailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 grungina

Thank you Victor.
    The agency told me today that the refuse charge is an extra fee that the landlord won't consider in the monthly rent.
    They even asked for the administration charge, I think they can go to hell (sorry for the language but I'm really fed up with this guys) even because they came up yesterday with that -surprise surprise- and they don't want to buy any accessory for the kitchen: plates, glasses, pan...
    It's not fair, I believe.
    Thanks again
    Chiara

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your lease should specify which bills are yours to pay, and which are included in the rent. Usually, management fees are included in the rent, but not always, and an unscrupulous landlord may price it seperately in order to attract tenants with a lower rental price.

Landlords may be legally obliged to pay the management fee, but then so is the tenant legally entitled to pay for their accommodation.

astrofool wrote: »
    Landlords may be legally obliged to pay the management fee, but then so is the tenant legally entitled to pay for their accommodation.

Dear Astrofool, thank you for your clarification.
    Can you please explain to me what do you mean with "...tenant legally entitled to pay for their accommodation"?
    Thank you, I didn't get the meaning of that.

Chiara

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

and they don't want to buy any accessory for the kitchen: plates, glasses, pan
    It is unreasonable to demand these from a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dear Astrofool, thank you for your clarification.
    Can you please explain to me what do you mean with "...tenant legally obligedentitled to pay for their accommodation"?
    Thank you, I didn't get the meaning of that.

Chiara

Sorry, that was also meant to be obliged, as in, you've signed a contract that specifies what you will pay to the landlord and which services you will pay for.

They should also have told you about any administration charge for handling the property up front, and it should be in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Victor wrote: »
    It is unreasonable to demand these from a landlord.

I would have thought if I was renting a furnished apt that it would come with kitchen equipement (plates, cups, cutlery, glasses etc). Is this not the norm any more?

Meathlass wrote: »
    I would have thought if I was renting a furnished apt that it would come with kitchen equipement (plates, cups, cutlery, glasses etc). Is this not the norm any more?

I've thought it too. I mean, it always happened to me to rent apartments fully furnished...

Anyway, now the story seems to be -as we haven't signed the contract yet- that we won't pay the administration charge. We asked even not to pay the extra refuse charge since they haven't told us before but they said no.

I very much like the apartment, I think that it's the best I've ever seen, but I didn't want to say yes to everything even because we are asked to pay for a car space we won't use.
    So at least we saw a step towards us. It's not that much and it doesn't make me feel so sure about them. When things like that happen I think you lose their self-assurance.

New episode shortly :)

Advertisement