Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podcasting via Skype?

Options
  • 23-07-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I just had a thought, regarding getting some more "faces" on the boards podcasts. I'm sure it would be possible to set up some sort of Skype + Audio Capture Software combination to record podcasts. I think it would be a good idea for getting some of us "regular folk" in on a podcast here and there :)

Can anyone confirm my suspicions firstly? And who would be interested in taking part? I think having MonkeyFudge on board for the majority of them at least is necessary now :) but apart from that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I had worked out a system of using skype so we could get some boardsies from abroad in on the podcast. Just haven't managed to get around the time zone problem yet.

But if anyone wants to send me on their skype details I'll happily contact them during the next recording.. which should be Sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Well I had worked out a system of using skype so we could get some boardsies from abroad in on the podcast. Just haven't managed to get around the time zone problem yet.

But if anyone wants to send me on their skype details I'll happily contact them during the next recording.. which should be Sunday afternoon.
    :)

Much like poor Des, I don't think I'd be great on the spot! But why not! I'll PM my skype details.

Perhaps this could work actually. If you did a mini-interview section, pick a boardsie from a list of those that send you their details and maybe research their post history a bit, come up with some cheeky questions for them?

Or too much like work? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Timezone issues can be overcome by using boardsies who aren't in work on the monday mornings I guess.

Or else do one on a friday evening, or sometime on a saturday, if you wanted to get a few abroadsies in on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The podcasts are usually done Sunday afternoon from what I've read so that should suit a lot of people who are ahead in timezones, i.e. 3pm in the afternoon is 10pm for me and midnight for those over east so it's not that bad at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, maybe, I'm not sure I'd be good and boards.ie people are a bit xenophobic.

Maybe if I "auditioned" first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Timezone issues can be overcome by using boardsies who aren't in work on the monday mornings I guess.

Or else do one on a friday evening, or sometime on a saturday, if you wanted to get a few abroadsies in on the action.

I agree. I'd love to do a podcast from NZ but I'm 11 hours ahead which is a huge time difference.

3pm on a Sunday afternoon for you is 2am for me. Not a great idea if I have to get up at 7am for work. If it was a Saturday afternoon and therefore 2am Sunday morning for me I'd be well up for it. I have skype and webcam set up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

GuanYin wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe, I'm not sure I'd be good and boards.ie people are a bit xenophobic.

Maybe if I "auditioned" first?

So not only are you not a dude, you're not Irish either??

I just don't know who I'm talking to any more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think for the abroad one, doing it on a saturday, leaving friday and sunday open for timezones could work..

No problem.... Maybe we'll look at a Friday evening one for next week.

The earliest I could go on Saturday would be 4pm Irish time. That would be 9am for me!

• Advertisement

The earliest I could go on Saturday would be 4pm Irish time. That would be 9am for me!

I could do 4pm probably. Except it's 3am for me on a Sat night and I may be a wee bit tipsy. Would that be a problem? :)

watna wrote: »
    I could do 4pm probably. Except it's 3am for me on a Sat night and I may be a wee bit tipsy. Would that be a problem? :)

I'll be sleepy, so if that isn't a problem I think we're ok :)

Unless you want to wait until the morning and I can do the nightshift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I feel the need to move abroad now. :pac:

I'll be sleepy, so if that isn't a problem I think we're ok :)

Unless you want to wait until the morning and I can do the nightshift?

Nightshift suits me actually. The Wellintgon film festival is on and I'm up to my eyes in films. Going to a few on Sunday afternoon so it's probably better for me to skype on Saturday night (well early Sunday morning actually if you want to be pedantic)

Who else is up for it?

What time suits you monkeyfudge?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

4pm Irish time is 11pm for me on a Saturday and I'll be at home cause I play football on Sunday's so don't go out. Suits me.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    4pm Irish time is 11pm for me on a Saturday and I'll be at home cause I play football on Sunday's so don't go out. Suits me.

"All by my self...... don't wanna be all by my self........"

watna wrote: »
    Nightshift suits me actually. The Wellintgon film festival is on and I'm up to my eyes in films. Going to a few on Sunday afternoon so it's probably better for me to skype on Saturday night (well early Sunday morning actually if you want to be pedantic)

Who else is up for it?

What time suits you monkeyfudge?

sounds good to me. can't promise what state ill be in,given im off the booze again, but i could fix it so im skittled to my eyeballs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hey - I got an imac recently and have been messing around with GarageBand. I was thinking - if people want to just record themselves talking and send me the mp3, I could cobble them all together for a podcast - if you are interested, let me know.

Garage band?

Get yourself a copy of Audacity. It's free and much better for this type of thing.

Also... I think it would be nice to have a few of you on at the same time. Skype allows a 4-way chat I believe.

I'm just looking at my world clocks here on my phone.

It is currently 11am in Ireland and 10pm in New Zealand and 6am in the middle bits of the US.

So... if I recorded something at say 12 or 1 it wouldn't be too late in New Zealand and not overly early in the US.

Does this make sense or am I wrong?

Garage band?

Get yourself a copy of Audacity. It's free and much better for this type of thing.

Also... I think it would be nice to have a few of you on at the same time. Skype allows a 4-way chat I believe.

It is currently 11am in Ireland and 10pm in New Zealand and 6am in the middle bits of the US.

So... if I recorded something at say 12 or 1 it wouldn't be too late in New Zealand and not overly early in the US.

Isn't GuanYin on the West Coast of US thought? making it 8 hours behind Ireland?

Damn time zones messing us up!

12 or 1pm MFT (Monkeyfudge time aka Irish summer time) sounds perfect for me. That'd be 11pm/12am WCFT (watna/crumble froo time aka New Zealand winter time)

• Advertisement

Well maybe we can go downunder first... before going stateside another time.

Do we have any other stateside ones... might be nice to try and get Ruu on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Garage band?

but garageband is so pretty :(

Do we have any other stateside ones... might be nice to try and get Ruu on board.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd love to hear ruu on a boardscast!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I would consider coming aboard. need to get Skype first, once I do though I could figure something out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would consider coming aboard. need to get Skype first, once I do though I could figure something out.

It'd be pretty fun actually getting you on a podcast, actually... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

SoDoM wrote: »
    It'd be pretty fun actually getting you on a podcast, actually... :D
    Be warned, I'm not as funny in real life as I am around here.

Be warned, I'm not as funny in real life as I am around here.

Have you heard any of the podcasts I'm on? Neither am I :D

SoDoM wrote: »
    Have you heard any of the podcasts I'm on? Neither am I :D
    I've heard them all actually. You has a point there.

ooh ooh ooh ooh! i have a new headset i can talk into and stuff. just thought i'd let ye know :D

• Advertisement

I prob won't be able to do one for a while... would prob be good to get something different on the podcast anyways.

*Goes to bother monkey*

Advertisement