Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nonviolent Communication (NVC)

Options
  • 23-07-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi:)

Since Buddhism is a philosophy that teaches compassion and nonviolent attitude and behavior towards all beings I thought these videos with Marshall Rosenberg, founder of The Center For Nonviolent Communication, might be interesting for more people than me:

Short interview

Long interview

Giving from the Heart - article

For me the good habit of always trying to be in contact with my own feelings and need (connecting with the heart) and always trying to see and understand the other persons feelings and needs as well has been - and still is - very liberating, even though it is not always easy and I really don't always succeed.

It has also been an eye opener for me the simple truth this teacher expresses that: When I talk to somebody and that person hears in my words or attitude a personal attack (as opposed to an honest description of my feelings and needs) or a demand/order (as opposed to a request), it is not very likely at all that this person will feel inclined to give me what I long for or need/want in the situation.

Words that are easily heard as personal attacks and demands/orders will most likely make the other person either withdraw or attack back instead of creating mutual understanding and respect, while communicating feelings and needs and hearing and adressing the feelings and needs in the other person's speech, much more likely will make a real connection in terms of human bonds between people.

Rosenberg is not a Buddhist, still I find what he is teaching very compatible with "the core" of Buddhism.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Ah, and The Great Toilet Seat Argument translated to "giraffe-language" is pretty cool to. Enjoy!:D

NVC uses the giraffe as a symbol for people who are in contact with and communicate from the heart, that is their feelings and deepest needs/qualities.

The jackal however is used as a symbol of a person who always hears/interprets other peoples words as personal attacks and who reacts either by judging/attacking himself or by judging/attacking the other. But according to NVC "the jackal really is merely a giraffe with a language problem".:p

Advertisement