Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need a permit to collect?

Options
  • 23-07-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I hope this is the right place, sorry if its not.

I'm part of a team of 20 heading to Eastern Europe(Location being finalised) from our school with the charity Habitat for Humanity to build houses for the less fortunate during the easter holidays. The thing is we must raise €32,000 in total to go, no easy task. We were considering collecting in Dublin city centre but it appears that we need a permit to do so.

1. Do we actually need a permit?
    2. Where from if we do(Google indicates the Chief superintendant of the relevant Garda station)?
    3. If so are they hard to obtain/restrictive?

Thanks in advance,
    Lethal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. Do we actually need a permit?
    Yes. €32,000 is a fair whack.
    2. Where from if we do(Google indicates the Chief superintendant of the relevant Garda station)?
    Yes, I'd say start at your local garda station for forms, etc. AFAIK, every individual collector will need to be named.
    3. If so are they hard to obtain/restrictive?
    I'm sure they'll want to check that you are a bona fidae charity - are you registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

1. Yes you need a permit. This ensures the public that you are a bone fide charity.
    2. I believe it's the chief of the area where you are collecting. Make contact with a sargeant in the station where you are collecting. The sargeant will then send your request to the chief who either sanctions it or not.
    3. It depends, i'd say. Bring proof of the identity of the charity with you. :)

(just noticed crossed posts!!!- sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

The form required is a SC1 available from your local Garda Station. It's sent to the local Chief Super for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks lads. Yeah, Habitat is a registered charity worldwide and we're helping them in going to wherever we're going(somewhere like romania, thats where a previous group went).

The total for the team of 20(16 students, 4 teachers) is actually 40,000 but we all have to donate 500 ourselves.

we'd be collecting on Stevens green and grafton street hopefully, whats the local station covering that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pixied

At a guess, Pearse Street. Ring them and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Collected the forms today. Thanks a million everyone.

Advertisement