Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hats and Caps

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Thought I might start this thread off to acompany the Helmet thread,if anyone has hats or caps and they would like to post them up please do so.First up are two Russian hats picked up on my trip to Berlin,next an old SAS beret,this one was picked up in an army surplus store in Cork a long time ago and is not in the best condition anymore,after that a British Para beret and finally an Irish side cap,I know there is one or two more knocking about just to find them,will post up if I come across them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You have the best attic, keep posting photos of the goodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

I agree! If I had that attic, I'd rarely be seen downstairs!

Here's my first venture into cloth headgear, currently in transit... I'll post better pictures when it arrives.
    A WW2 German Artillery NCO visor.

Regards - Dan

post-3182-1216932967.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

To Be honest lads its the worst place you could put anything,the change in temperture can affect all sorts,one minute its cold the next its hot,anything metal you would want to be careful with,I just don't have the room anywhere else at the moment.Dan thats a really nice hat that you've picked up there,a lovely example by the photo,a constant worry with alot of the materials they used before is mothing,them buggers get everywhere,I've not been able to find the other caps,no doubt they'll turn up,I've added a couple of the U.S Garrison cap that came with the WW2 U.S uniform that I have,these would of all came with different ribbing around the cap according to what service someone was in and also different coloured material

British WW2 period side hat

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Here's the Artillery NCO visor.

The makers mark is found under the sweatband and there are a few tears in the area, so I did not attempt to take any photos of it for fear of increasing the damage, However I did see a 1942 date stamp. It has a few moth holes on both sides but still nothing too drastic.

It's a size 56, as is a recent M35 Luft helmet pick up.... these guys had really small heads!!

1001078rv4.th.jpg

1001079zt5.th.jpg

1001080uz4.th.jpg

1001082ru4.th.jpg

• Advertisement

Very nice Dan,a nice pick up,wouldn't half mind one of them myself

Added this one yesterday,this is a Vietnam era Australian slouch hat dated 1967

Heres the missing culprit,came across it when I was moving,its another beret,again an SAS issue made in 1973/78?,sadly this is after getting a bit of moth damage

I was in Middleton the other day and picked this one up in the army surplus store there,this one is Austrian but not sure for what service

Advertisement