Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap Uilleann Pipes - bareable???

Options
  • 23-07-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have a problem, I'm well aware of it. I cant stop buying musical instruments.

anyway, next on my list is a set of uilleann pipes. I found a half set on ebay for 300 yo yo's. Obviously pakistani made and I'm not expecting too much for such a bargain. Was wondering if any of you out there had ever bought a set. Are they really really crap or are they adequate for me to arse around with solo. I dont care if they are out of concert pitch as long as they are in tune with themselves.
    any opinions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

DO NOT BUY PAKISTANI MADE UILLEANN PIPES!!!!!

Unless you just want them as an expensive wall-hanging!!

heres a link to chiffandfipple uilleann website, outlining a thousand reasons not to buy them.... http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=34434

honestly, you could pick up a starter set (bellows,bag and chanter) for approx 4 or 5hund euros by a well known reputable maker and slowly add drones/regs through time as you progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Mate of mine bought practice set from a scotish maker. He's just decided to sell and stick to playing strings instead.The chanter seems pretty good and the bellows is prob even better than mine. Think he's looking for 450euro for the set and carrier bag. My piping teacher will be having a look at them next week.

Kathleen

Advertisement