Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Hosts File problems

Options
  • 23-07-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm transferring a website from one host to another.

Files and db have been transferred correctly. To test the website on the new host before changing the DNS settings, I'm pointing the domain name to the IP address of the new host using my hosts file in Windows XP.

The thing is, when connected to my wireless network at home (UTV ADSL broadband) this works fine. When connected using my Three Broadband data card - it doesn't work.

When I ping the domain in question, it comes back with an IP address that confirms that the hosts file is working... but for some reason Internet Explorer or Firefox aren't using it when connected to Three Broadband.

What's going on here and how do I resolve it?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Have you tried cleaning the cache, and deleting the history. If everything works with (UTV ADSL broadband) it should work with your 3G broadband.

I know some providers block content from some websites and have restrictions but I'm guessing you’re not the Chinese Communist party.

Can you give your web address and I can test from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Looks like you're going through a transparent proxy at three. They'd do their own DNS lookup (on the proxy server level).

It's called transparent, because it's redirecting all the port 80 traffic via their proxy server (rather than you having to configure the proxy server in your browser).

2 ways around it:
    1) Configure a temp name (eg. www2.domain.com) to point to the new IP
    2) Configure & use your own proxy server that is outside the three network (though three may thwart your efforts somewhat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks cgarvey,

That sounds like it's the problem alright... I'll give your suggestion a go.

Cheers

Advertisement