Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics Betting

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Not all the odds are available yet but there's some decent value on Paddy Power:

Phillips Idowu (Triple Jump) 6 - 4 (Gold)

Kelly Sotherton (Heptathlon) 15 - 4 (Gold)

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPORTS&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=83&ev_type_id=10048&ev_oc_grp_ids=64099&bir_index=

Both have very good chances as the respective Sweedish world champs have withdrawn and the odds don't seem to account for this.

If you fancy an outside bet, Emma Davis is 300 - 1 to medal in the triathlon. She was 15th in the World Championships, and making the top 10 if definiatly a possibility. It'd take some sort of incident perhaps for her to medal, but she won't be THAT far off and I reckon 300 - 1 is madness!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

If Christian Olsson was fit and competing, Idowu would be about 3/1 for gold

If Carolina Kluft was competing in the Heptathlon, Sotherton would be about 10/1 or 12/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Davis was 15th in world championships with a fair few athletes out (as it was effectively the last beijing qualifier and most of the top athletes were already qualified and had started prep work for the Olympics) She has a couple of toher top 10 results in World Cups though. She's definitely not 300/1 to win a medal.

Sotherton has beens truggling all year and her javelin is, frankly, disgraceful. She may medal but I can't see winning gold. Idowu has a genuine chnce (being world champion and all…) but I wouldn't be backing him at 6/4

Might be an idea to keep this thread going right through the games. I'm expectinng to get heavily involved. I've no stand out bets but I've only really started looking at odds. If you're thinking about betting on Irish medals (usually a popular market), wait until the draw for the boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

15-4 sotherton is a terrible price. a lot bigger should be available when more bookies have priced it up

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

idowu may win but 6-4 isnt a great price either. there is only 40cm between the top 20 people in this years world rankings

I've backed Darren Sutherland to medal at 9/1 with Paddy

He should beat the Algerian, which will then mean he's one fight away from a medal. Granted that fight should against Blanco, the world silver medallist (who beat Sutherland in the last 16) but Sutherland would be no more than 2/1 in that fight.

Outstanding value IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Am I blind or are Boyles not betting on the swimming? Fancy a bet on the young Korean Park in the 400 metres freestyle but can't find it on their site. Surely, that's a bad oversight. I always considered the swimming and athletics to be the main focus of the Olympics and definitely where most of my interest would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

Wow. Good tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wow. Good tip!

Which one? Didn't get to back mine before he started his heat so didn't bother in the end as the value was probably gone. Best price I saw was 5/2 with Ladbrokes and Hills but wanted to compare against Boyles.

Dodge wrote: »
    I've backed Darren Sutherland to medal at 9/1 with Paddy

He should beat the Algerian, which will then mean he's one fight away from a medal. Granted that fight should against Blanco, the world silver medallist (who beat Sutherland in the last 16) but Sutherland would be no more than 2/1 in that fight.

Outstanding value IMO

No really aftertiming, and I know this is poor form but I don't really mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Well done Dodge, good call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Excellent boy. I really hope Sutherland pulls off the gold, also hope you had nice bet on those odds of 9/1.

Advertisement