Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chronoing a multishot shotgun

Options
  • 23-07-2008 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

i was looking at some of the gas operated m550 style shotguns and i was wondering how and what value they chrono at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I have the clone M500 (fires 3 8mm BBs), fired it through a chrono before and got a reading of 210fps (with 0.38g BBs I think), so that puts it about 0.80J, which is fine, the chrono I used is the xcortech one and is capable of reading an AEG on full auto, so it has no problem chrono'ing a multishot shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kdouglas wrote: »
    I have the clone M500 (fires 3 8mm BBs), fired it through a chrono before and got a reading of 210fps (with 0.38g BBs I think), so that puts it about 0.80J, which is fine, the chrono I used is the xcortech one and is capable of reading an AEG on full auto, so it has no problem chrono'ing a multishot shotgun.

cool i have a madbull chrono but never tried muti shots

has anyone chronoed the 6mm version cos i'm debating which to get
    the figures on the sales sites seem exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Looking into getting one myself, developing a thing for shotguns now, have one of those new DE triple shot M3s on the way at the moment. From what i can gather online people seem to prefer the 6mm version. That'd be what i'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Always wondered about that this myself, i wonder how it would be done officially, as in theory the example given is just the joule level for just one of the projectiles.

Know if the replica fires more than one projectile is the energy of each of the items fire counted as a simple unit or added together to calculate the power level.

Bit hard to explain but is it the collective energy of everything fired that is the joule level or each.

then you get into the area of a single barrel firing multiple bb and multiple barrels in the same device each fire the a simple bb

more than likely this is all unimportant but something that has got into my head of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Putting it through the x-cortech chrono, the measurement is taken from each individual projectile fired through. So the burst of three will be measured individually.
    The displayed info will be the final round to pass through the meter though so you'll have to take it as given that all three rounds are firing at the same velocity.

• Advertisement

they fire very close to the same velo or at least scopes' one does

6mm be shortie in black looks like a fun one

zero19 wrote: »
    Looking into getting one myself, developing a thing for shotguns now, have one of those new DE triple shot M3s on the way at the moment. From what i can gather online people seem to prefer the 6mm version. That'd be what i'd go for.

thats the clone of the tm is it

looks class where you ordering it from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I have to say if your getting a shotgun buy the 8mm, if your going for the 6mm it aint going to get thru half as much the 8mm, those 8mm will tear thru most vegitation, as some here will vouch fot that, i have got more kills with my 8mm in the cqb woods in g-tac, they are lethal.

And you also know when someones been shot as you hear i little yelp :):)

i like your one all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

i thought id convinced ya not to get one Tigger, bah it seems everyone at g-tac is going to be packing a shotgun :mad: with the massed importation of Tm clones aswell, methinks ill have to start carrying two shotties lol :P

As Knife fighter said the 8mm will cut through all sorts of vegatation gorse and cover with ease, though i am very curious as to the performance of the 6mm version as it fires 5 per shot, some owners say they hardly spread at all in comparison to 8mm versions whilst some owners say its performance is better[not for penetration but in range/spread] and thease reports often came from people who own both versions so it appears to be personal preference. Ill be sticking to my golf ball launcher of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I can say from having been on the receiving end of an 8mm that they hurt a little more than the 6mm, something to do with transference of energy or some other science type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

Tigger wrote: »
    thats the clone of the tm is it

looks class where you ordering it from

i ordered one yesterday from rsov it was the double eagle shortie one that take the cartridges and has three inner barrells!!

i ordered one yesterday from rsov it was the double eagle shortie one that take the cartridges and has three inner barrells!!

its like 20 euros....

cool

its like 20 euros....

cool

yep and with 10 extra shells its still only about 30.........:cool:

how much is the postage

i bought a good few bits of it so not sure what it was for just the shot gun.

how much is the postage

just checked it out it is €26 for the normal air mail (7-14 days delivery)

or €36 for the courier with (3-6 days delivery)

just checked it out it is €26 for the normal air mail (7-14 days delivery)

or €36 for the courier with (3-6 days delivery)

tempting..........

post a review when you get it will ya

tempting..........

post a review when you get it will ya

i couldnt resist!!!!:D

and yes reveiw will be posted shortly i went for the 3-6 day delivery so should have it early next week!

I ordered the longest version, looks mean lol Should have it friday if all goes well customs wise, next week otherwise :)

• Advertisement

zero19 wrote: »
    I ordered the longest version, looks mean lol Should have it friday if all goes well customs wise, next week otherwise :)

im only a small lad thats why i didnt get the long one id look like a dwarf with it:D

so its a race to see who gets to write the reveiw:D

im only a small lad thats why i didnt get the long one id look like a dwarf with it:D

so its a race to see who gets to write the reveiw:D
    Haha your on mate, i'll lose though as i'm unlucky with customs lol I can see myself buying the shorty next, but why not? They're so darned cheap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

but i would say its still only going to take a reading from the first projectile past the first sensor and first to past the last sensor don't we how you can calculate multiple projectile in the same shot without high speed photography and maths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

High speed is what I'd use to be accurate, given the equipment.

There are chrono's available with a memory system in them which would allow you to back track over your last 10 or 20 rounds through the meter to get readings from each one. As each of the bb's leaving the shotgun barrel will have it's own ballistic characteristic based on hop, seal, nozzle position etc, these chrono's should be accurate enough to capture each one individually.

However, as with high speed gear, it costs big bucks to get (though not nearly as much as high speed)

got my multi shot shotgun today and so far im very happy im gonna play around with it tonight and il do a reveiw on it later or tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

zero19 wrote:

Got the extended barrel one myself as well as the short barrel last week. The extended barrel is BIG and unlike the short version has a metal barrel. Chrono'd it (by loading only one round into the shell) and got average of 265fps.

They are Very, Very fun to play around with. :D

Advertisement