Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My First Car - How to choose

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi eveyone.
    I want to buy a car now but I'm really in doubt about two models. I like the design of these both cars (Opel Astra Hatchback & Ford Focus), but besides the design, I'd like to know about which one would be a better deal, given that I don't know many people around here who have owned many cars and etc..

Anyway, what are your opinions on these cars? Cheaper parts, less maintenance, more economic, better for city, etc...

I have been browsing on carzone.ie these days and those are the type of cars I'm really interested and I need to make a decision. Another thing, I don't want spend more than €3k.

Thank you guys.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-LX/1142632/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Astra/1.4-XL/1121251/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Focus, better built, nicer to drive, better looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My uncle has a '00 Astra 1.4L, and it has given him nothing but trouble (head gaskets blowing, water pump leaking, among other things).

I'd go for the Focus, a much better built car.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I myself have the same model astra with similar mileage. While I have had no problems whatsoever with mine in the year I have owned it, I would say that the focus is probably more reliable.

My sister has the same model focus and I have driven it a good few times. It is a very nice car to drive but the 1.4 engine feels a little down on power compared to the astra. I would much prefer my astra for the likes of safe overtaking etc.

Both nice cars to drive imo. Just look for whichever car looks to be in better condition. If you do go for an astra make sure the timing belt/water pump has been done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

If you decide to buy Astra, make sure you check the hose's that go from the radiator to engine and from engine to radiator. When the engine reached it s normal working temperature there shouldn't be too much pressure in the hose's if there is too much pressure (it would be hard to the touch) it means head gasket might need doing. So be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fmagosso

ummm... I must admit that I was more likely to get the Astra but after all these comments... ummm... I'll think twice. Again.

As I'm not any expert on mechanics or anything, I'd have to get one to look round the car but I heard the if I buy it from a garage I'll have warranty, service history and all the stuff so I can save the mechanics' money!

Anyway, about the decision, it is not being easy to make. This saturday I'm going to drive around with a friend and check some garages again...

thanks fellas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would also say go for the focus. It's certainly a great car although I much prefer the styling of the (newer) Astra.

Test drives for the win :)

No chance I'll get any newer car.

Honestly between both cars (99) I prefer the design of Astra. But is seems Focus is a better car to drive and it's more reliable. Good to know.

Well that's what I'm gonna do. I'll test-drive both. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

fmagosso wrote: »
    ummm... I must admit that I was more likely to get the Astra but after all these comments... ummm... I'll think twice. Again.

As I'm not any expert on mechanics or anything, I'd have to get one to look round the car but I heard the if I buy it from a garage I'll have warranty, service history and all the stuff so I can save the mechanics' money!

Anyway, about the decision, it is not being easy to make. This saturday I'm going to drive around with a friend and check some garages again...

thanks fellas :D

Rookie pitfall, dont put too much faith in the warranty for that class of car. Most garage warranties will NOT cover anything thats deemed wear and tear, which on a car is pretty much everything.
    I brought this up with a garage I bought a fiat punto off (main dealer, secondhand car) Within a month both head gasket and clutch had gone and after the work was done I was informed it wouldnt be covered. I asked what would be covered and after a lot of hmmming the only thing they could come up with was the electric windows (it didnt have electric windows)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1,
    I have a focus 1.4 and they're a great car, its never missed a beat and great to drive as well. I wouldn't touch the astra tbh, have a friend who bough one of a similar generation and it was a nightmare, everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. I know he may have bough a lemon, but he's not alone in having huge trouble from astras.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Have a 04 1.4 Focus LX myself, brilliant car - very comfortable, reliable and economical. One issue we had was the D/S Window Regulator suddenly gave up the ghost leaving the D/S window inoperable - making it a pain to go through a drive-through or carpark. Replacement part was something like €180 from MicksGarage but Ford wouldn't cover it under warrenty.

Astras look okay, give a nice ride and are quick, but aren't the most reliable car. They have tendencies to overheat from faulty thermostats or waterpumps - which often causes the headgasket to blow.

Focus is defnitely the better deal - it will keep its value and will resell quicker than the Astra.

• Advertisement

All these comments helped a lot !!!

So I'll definitely go for the Focus (even thought it's more expensive), but I'm really looking for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you've only 3k to spend, I think the renault lagunas are great value at the moment..

You get leather, heated seats, cd, air/con and low milage for buttons....there a nice well beahaved car on the road....but they suffered really bad from depreciation......which is good news for you.....

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/Super-Sport/1125724/

A 02 car for 2,950 is a give away

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.6-16V/1143173/

might be worth a look....there's a good few on carzone

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Renault Laguna Mk II?! They are chaep for a reason, they have a terrible reputation. Not recommended!

Cosmo K wrote: »
    (...) They are chaep for a reason, they have a terrible reputation. Not recommended!

So I heard. I like the design but the reputation is an important fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Nice looking car no question, and actually a very comfortable one too......but the rest....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neglectarino

Agreed - a couple of colleagues have Laguna's and the talk matter-of-factly about the way they need to replace or fix various parts of it! They've learned to live with the reliability issues.

The Focus has an excellent reliability record. With any car i've bought, I've asked the dealer to give me the number of the previous owner, called them, and asked them if they had major problems with the car. In think most ppl are more than happy to say whether they had a good or bad experience with a car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

+1 Focus Focus...

Opel Astra sucks

hey guys I'm back
    well, unfortunately I couldn't get the Ford Focus I was seeing on carzone, when I got there in the garage, the seller said the car was gone like one hour before... I was really pissed off!

So... I got the Astra anyway... It is in very good condition after all, very low mileage and has just been NCT'd. I'm pretty happy with it so far...

I'm posting some pics of it.

Thank you guys for all advices.

the pics:

mileage:

• Advertisement
Advertisement