Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to replace Range Rover 2.5DSE with?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭

The diesel bills have gone crazy, getting close to €130 a tank.....

What to go for next, it will be pulling heavy loads on a transporter but needs to be easy on fuel, diesel or petrol, all idea welcome....

are discoverys any lighter on juice?

Looking for a jeep that does 40mpg if there's such a thing..

tks
    dm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

something like a VW Transporter T4 Syncro if you're going commercial. otherwise a new model Santa Fe, what's your budget?

there are no real heavy duty 4X4's that will do 40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no can't be a van, has to be capable of carrying 5 adults....

10K Max, it's the one that does all the work, love the range rover only for the way the fuel bill has gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do you use it soley for work, or does it double as your home vehicle too? roughly what weights are you pulling?

It's can be doing anything.....

Down to tescos one minute, pulling a tractor up to cooley the next....it's an everday car but not the main one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Let me be first:
    Toyota Landcruiser, there are plenty of commercial ones about now, dont know about passanger ones though.
    Another option is a nissan Navara crew cab.

I suppose the most you can hope for really is 30 - 35 MPG. I have a Nissan terrano that does a genuine 32MPG (comfort wise its a big drop from a range rover). Stay away from mitsubishi on your budget because fuel economy is a problem.

• Advertisement

Would a nissan patrol be worse than the range rover for economy..

this looks good for the money and it wouldn't cost me to change..

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Patrol-GR/2.8TDI-SE/987423/

what do you think, will it do 30 -35mpg under normal driving(no trailer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

The diesel bills have gone crazy, getting close to €130 a tank.....

What to go for next, it will be pulling heavy loads on a transporter but needs to be easy on fuel, diesel or petrol, all idea welcome....

are discoverys any lighter on juice?

Looking for a jeep that does 40mpg if there's such a thing..

tks
    dm

Have you considered converting it to run on cooking oil, I 'm not sure if there is a kit available for the range rover, that should less than a grand + fitting

triskell wrote: »
    Have you considered converting it to run on cooking oil, I 'm not sure if there is a kit available for the range rover, that should less than a grand + fitting

350 miles is costing €100

How far would I get on cooking oil, would the jeep not smell a bit funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

350 miles is costing €100

How far would I get on cooking oil, would the jeep not smell a bit funny...

I have only done a little research on it for myself same reasons as yourself, economy, could not get a kit for cherokee crd engine. Smelly only if you use used cooking oil
    MPG should be roughly the same only a lot cheaper.
    there's a whole thread on it over on green issues

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Slig wrote: »
    Let me be first:
    Toyota Landcruiser, there are plenty of commercial ones about now, dont know about passanger ones though.
    Another option is a nissan Navara crew cab.

I suppose the most you can hope for really is 30 - 35 MPG. I have a Nissan terrano that does a genuine 32MPG (comfort wise its a big drop from a range rover). Stay away from mitsubishi on your budget because fuel economy is a problem.

i can't give accurate figures, but a friend of mine drives a 3 litre diesel LC and he finds it heavy on juice, so if you're changing for that reason, it might not be the answer for you. i'd be hard pressed to think of a 4x4/SUV that has good fuel economy tbh

• Advertisement

Whats the Nissan X Trail like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

nice enough. I like them but they are constant 4x4 and the styling is marmite. 2.2L engine couldnt be too hard on juice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Here Slig, my 3.2 pajero does 33mpg. There's no need to be dissing them all the time. I know of more that do similar mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Disco will do late 20's early 30's don't listen to any1 telling u any higher. But i'd advise u drive one becuase they are smashing to drive. That's the new 2.7tdv6, if ur going for the tdi or td5 i'd expect much as a much. What's ur budget.

Advertisement