Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Stories

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Long time lurker here. From Donegal, living in Dublin and looking for help.

I am involved in a project whereby I need unusual stories about Donegal, recent events or anything from any time in the past. It can be about people, places, events, crimes etc, basically anything at all.

The stories can't be too well known to a wider audience outside Donegal but must be true.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Just point me in a direction and I will do the rest myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The old courthouse in Lifford would have some details on historical characters and events. They have an audio-visual display of a trial from the 1800's I think where a guy was found guilty and sentenced to hang but he ended up being "half hung". Cant recall the full story other than the man was known thereafter as half hung McNaughton or whatever his name was.

They also have the old dungeons open to the public and there are lots of stories to be picked up there.

Thats a start for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I don't know if this will be any help - http://www.stjohnstonandcarrigans.com/

Under Heritage - my granny used to terrify us with some of these stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aminaadan

hi, not clear what you need exactly. You can try to research all the local papers there or even send in a letter requesting stories, am sure the papers can put you in contact with folk there who can put you in right direction.
    try donegal historical society, or dublin donegal society. Try the libraries in DOnegal also. Try book shops for local books by locals.
    easons sell some of the local papers but am sure you know this already
    perhaps the political offices could help also

Advertisement